Greetings From New Hampshire

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by New Hampshire, Feb 16, 2014.

1. New Hampshire

New Hampshire Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    New Hampshire
    I know it's a little late, but I would still like to introduce myself. My name is Ryan. I live in New Hampshire. I used to have 10 chickens, but sadly only two are left. Looking forward to meeting some nice people that have the same chicken fascination that I do.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Hey Ryan,

North Haverhill area here. We're running 10 birds over this winter. Be hatching March, April and into May so that number will grow considerable over summer before culling back for next winter.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did you have a predator attack ??

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

6. annagarret

annagarret Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]......What kind of breeds do you have? How are they doing with the wicked weather this winter?

7. New Hampshire

Feb 1, 2014
    New Hampshire
    I have one Silver Laced Wyandotte, and one Black Sex-Link. They seem to be doing ok with the cold weather. They have a heat lamp and an insulated coop.

I lost my other chickens to:

One to a dog.

One to a fox.

One to two raccoons.

Two dropped dead.

Two to reproductive failure.

One to infection.

8. annagarret

annagarret Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh my....that's so sad! Do you have any clue as to the two that just dropped dead??? Was it your dog that attacked? I had two Silver Laced Wyandottes last year, really pretty and hardy, both were killed buy a fox....[​IMG] I would get that breed again

Do they like the snow? I have put straw down on the snow for them. Mine were outside the past couple of days..it's a high of 35 degrees and sunny by me....I think they were really stir crazy cause they didn't want to go back in..I had to pick each of them up and put them in![​IMG]

9. New Hampshire

Feb 1, 2014
    New Hampshire
    I never figured out what happened to them. Both chickens just dropped dead, no sign of a struggle or pain. Heart attack? Reproductive failure? Something toxic? I wish I knew.

The dog was not mine. A little kid's puppy got loose and killed Phoebe. The kid's great grandmother offered to have the puppy put down, but I didn't see the need.

My chickens don't like snow this deep. I think they prefer to be inside under their heat lamp.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by