Greetings from New Member in Lenoir, North Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by slcolwell, Mar 14, 2012.

1. slcolwell

slcolwell New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Lenoir, North Carolina
    First, let me say when I found BYC this morning, I thought, "Wow, there are a lot of people here who have the same idea as me". Anyone out there from Lenoir? I'll be moving there in two weeks and I hope it will not prevent me from fulfilling my dream of raising chickens for eggs in my backyard. The seed for my dream was planted when I was eleven and my brother brought home seven colored babies from the spring festival in South Zanesville, Ohio. Now that I am retired from teaching and have raised my children, I am ready to sprout my dream. I have to start with questions! [​IMG]Question #1: Are chickens are even allowed in the city? [​IMG]Question #2: Where do I go to read the ordinance to learn about any limitations? [​IMG]Question #3: And here's the dumb question: If the city allows hens but not roosters, how will I raise chickens for eggs? [​IMG]Question #4: How much is this hobby going to cost? That's all for now. I think this is a wonderful site and I'm looking forward to meeting a friend who can help me to get started after the move.

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio....glad you joined us. Good luck with your move and getting your new chickens

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
    For questions 1 and 2, you'll have to go to your zoning office in town or call them to find out the info you need. Question 3...you dont need a rooster for a hen to lay eggs. Question 4...the sky is the limit. Good luck.

4. slcolwell

slcolwell New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Lenoir, North Carolina
    Thank you for your best wishes. Could you provide any answers?

5. slcolwell

slcolwell New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    Lenoir, North Carolina
    How does a hen lay eggs without a Rooster? You have a lot of different types of chickens. Do they all get along? Are they for egg laying?

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I have several different breeds and different sizes, and they get along great.

Hens will lay just as well without a rooster as with. The eggs will not be fertile, however.

For good references to different helpful threads, check the FAQ section in the Forum, scroll down and you will find lots of useful information.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana! [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined us. Good advice given. :thumbsup

10. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Greetings from Maryland! Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by