Greetings from NH!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DownwardDog, Dec 26, 2012.

1. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Seacoast New Hampshire
    I am a newbie and have spent all day looking around BYC! I plan to start a flock with about a dozen layer chicks in the spring, and my husband and I are looking around for good coop-building ideas. I also have two younger children which I want to get involved, so hopefully there is some info here on getting them interested, jobs to do,etc. Can't wait to read more from all you 'regulars'!
    Merry Christmas!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas DownwardDog, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Have you checked out he Coops section (brown tab at the top)? So many great ideas! Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] from NJ. Check in to 4 H = It's a great organization for getting kids interested in all aspects of animal/poultry keeping.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Welcome! Hopefully you'll share lots of pictures when you get those chicks! Happy New Year!

7. chicken dude

chicken dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Hey I am also new to backyard chickens and have a flock of my own that I just got at the local tractor supply store last march. The biggest problem I had when I first got mine (especially the bantams) is called pasting. When you first get the chicks check their bottoms for accumulated manure and wipe them off with a semi warm wet rag. Also the only good sign that I remember to tell the difference between roosters and hens (when they are babies) is their size. The roosters are usually bigger as was the case with mine. If you are planning in getting good brown egg laying chickens i would recomend production reds or if you want the most efficient at converting feed to eggs get the pearl white leghorns. I have production reds, americaunas, and some bantams and am very happy with the prduction reds. Other breeds I don't have experience with raising them.

P.S. If you don't wipe the manure off when they're babies they can die from not being able to poop.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by