Greetings from 'No Man's Land', Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PartyBarn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. PartyBarn

PartyBarn Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Like so many, we've taken the plunge and have found BYC to be informative and helpful.

The coop is built, the pen nearly fenced and 9 chicks are in the stock tank (kept in the heated mud room for now) ..growing fast.

At two weeks old their feathers are developing, wings and tails are filling out. It's been an experience to watch their behaviors and pecking order develop.

We laid chicken wire over the top of the tank to prevent escape and found that it helps to keep the hens docile. Just added grit to their feed as recommended.

We've started off with 3 buff Orpingtons, 2 Americaunas, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Black Jersey Giants. I probably overbought and at some point will sell or give some of these away... or go into the egg business.

If you're still reading, the city of Norman, OK has started a program where they give away feral cats in pairs. They're intended for barn use (mousers) and aren't family pets.
    The city immunizes them and spays/neuters them before sending them out. I have 2 acres so they wouldn't be in tight quarters.

I would be curious what the general opinion is of cat/chicken relations. (Fully grown chickens of course).

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from your neighbor to the north (Kansas) and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Interesting question about the feral cats. I live in the country and my cats - which are the outside variety - never bother the chickens - even as baby chicks. I guess they just see them as part of the farm and not to be messed with. I have the occasional feral tom cat wander through looking for love but have never lost a bird or even had an attack. I think a lot may depend on breed of chicken....bantams or even small framed birds such as Hamburgs might look more "takable" than would a 8 or 10 pound Buff Orp hen. Or maybe the size off the cat as well???
    I used the words 'cat attack' and typed them into the BYC search box and a few hits came up - unsure if the birds attacked were chicks or adults.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=cat+attack
    I'll let you ferret out what others have experienced on the subject. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you joined us, hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I would be concerned about having feral cats around the chicks, even house cats have been known to "play" with chicks with the end result being the chick dies. Here's a recent post about that: post #1

Maybe once the chicks are full grown they aren't as attractive to cats as something about as large as themselves. This is an article from the Learning Center about cats as predators:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cat-chicken-predators-how-to-protect-your-chickens-from-cats

Best of luck to you and thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would be concerned about having any cats around chicks/chickens. The same with the family dog. I am a dog lover but, many of the people joining up will say their cat or dogs wiped out their chicks.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under PartyBarn [​IMG] Welcome!

I have two indoor cats who have an outdoor run from which they like to watch the chickens. They do not look like they want to eat them but I am not game to take that chance.

Having said that, I have read multiple threads on BYC where the barn cats ignore the chickens completely and have seen multiple pictures of chickens stealing the cats’ dinner right out from under their noses. Even saw one of a cat allowing a chick to snuggle under it and a cat in England who 'raised' some ducklings [​IMG]

Tough one to call; I think it comes down to the individual cat.

Anyways, you might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by