Greetings from North Georgia, USA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hyn'sFarm, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Hyn'sFarm

Hyn'sFarm New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    New to the forum though I have been reading as a guest for some while now. Very helpful. My husband and I are closing on a farm, slightly over 12 acres. It is approximately 1/2 fenced pasture and 1/2 hardwoods. We currently have a Husky/German Shepherd dog and a young Tennessee Walking Horse gelding.

There is a walk-in shed not far from the house that I may be looking to convert into a coop but there is much yet I need to read and think upon. You can all be certain I'll have many questions to ask! Ideally I'd like our future chickens to free range on the property durring the day and of course, coop at night.

I'd like to know if I can keep bantams and standard birds together? A few guinia hen might be nice but we used to have an Indian Blue peacock here who died last winter (he was really old). I'd really like to have another peacock. Only I'm not sure if he would hassle the other birds! The one what was here didn't bother our dog but did avoid him. As for chickens, I haven't decided yet what we'll get but I am leaning towards Wyandottes (full sized) and Japanse Bantams. Could they house together or will I need seperate coops? I could split the outbuilding into two sides easily enough. Thoughts? The pasture fencing is smallish square mesh with inside hotwire. I am considering upgrading to a finer mesh as I don't wan to risk my gelding getting a foot through it. There is little or no fencing along the back of the property but the chickens would have to go a long distance through fairly thick woods to get anywhere that way.

~Hyn

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Hello and [​IMG]

3. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello from Ohio

4. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    [​IMG] welcome to BYC from sunny Arizona!!! [​IMG]

5. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Welcome Hyn!

I would not recommend housing breeds of such a size difference together, especially if you would have a Wyandotte rooster. He would kill a little Jap. pullet rather quickly. So...I recommend the splitting of the outbuilding. That's from my experience with breeds of such vast size differences.

We are glad you joined us!

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

7. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

8. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] from UT! Wyandottes are pretty big, it would probably work best to have separate coops.

9. Hyn'sFarm

Hyn'sFarm New Egg

Oct 22, 2009
    Thank you for the feedback. I still have a lot of reading to do. Likely start with Wyandottes and then try a bantam breed later. Japs are very cute but may be too flighty for me anyway, at least for a while. Someone else reccomended I might try some Old English instead of Japanese bantams. They are certainly handsome birds. At any rate, to begin with I'll want something relatively easy.

My thought wasn't so much them cooping together as much as whether or not they could range loose at the same time.

~Hyn

10. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    Welcome from Cedartown Georgia!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by