Greetings from North Greece

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by effieK, Sep 17, 2015.

1. effieK

effieK New Egg

Sep 17, 2015
    Hi, my name's Effie and I live in North Greece. I don't have any chickens as yet but want to buy some. Our block of land is 1.450 square metres and includes our house, an orchard, rose garden, vegetable garden and a small vineyard. I have absolutely no experience of raising chickens but the thought of fresh eggs is attractive. I am also aware that chicken manure is very good for the soil. One of my interests is gardening and I am a nature lover. I am unsure of my ability to raise chickens but I am going to try. I am looking forward to reading the comments and advice on this forum.

bye

1 person likes this.
  2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

You will love chickens! For many different reasons. :) Sounds like you have plenty of room for them too. Good luck on reading, and finding info. Ask any questions. The Learning Center can help guide you to what you may want to read, or ask.

3. effieK

effieK New Egg

Sep 17, 2015
    Thank you.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hello Effie, nice to meet you. Glad you decided to join Backyard chickens. Are you interested in layers, or meat birds?

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. effieK

effieK New Egg

Sep 17, 2015
    Hi, Drumstick Diva. I don't know that much about chickens but I had the impression that when they are young they lay eggs and then when they get a little older you can slaughter them for their meat. A while ago a friend gave us a couple - plucked and ready for the pot - and they were absolutely delicious. No comparison with store bought chickens. Any information would be welcome.

Effie

7. effieK

effieK New Egg

Sep 17, 2015
    Thank you Trailrider.

Effie

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. eleanna

eleanna Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2015
    Greece
    Hello Effie! :)

I live in Alonissos and just joined. We also have a small place for our 14 chicken and doing quite well. We have some eggs every day! :) keep us updated when you get the chicks :)

Kisses,

Ελεάννα

10. Natalie14612

Natalie14612 New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    Hi, the Town of Greece my does NOT allow chickens to be kept unless they consider your property to be a "farm". You would have to apply for a permit from the Town If you lived in the city, they do allow chickens with a permit! go figure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by