Greetings from Northern CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hestlauss, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hestlauss

Hestlauss New Egg

Jan 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    I joined a while back and have been busy trying to choose what chicks to order. I finally narrowed it down to six chicks that will go into the chicken tractor I am building. I can't tell you how happy I was when I got the call that the first 3 chicks (Cuckoo Maran, Plymouth Rock and Easter Egger) arrived at my local feed store two weeks ago. I can’t believe how fast they are growing. I was a little worried when our power went out in a storm but I put a knitted woolen ski hat over them until the power was restored a couple of hours later and it worked great! I have also ordered a Salmon Favorelle, an Australorp and a Speckled Sussex which will arrive in a couple of weeks. After seeing all of the photos others have posted it was really hard to stopped at 6. Originally I was only going to get 5 but my BF told me to order another just in case I end up with a rooster or someone who just doesn't want to get along with the others and said she would give it a home with her flock.

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    [​IMG] from Concord. There are a lot of local threads here for California, if you want to meet some people closer to you. I'm sure you'll love the information you get here!

3. Martha Jensen

Martha Jensen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    I am local! Got 5 chicks at the feed store on Hookston and they are living in the house for now. Have someone coming to check out the area and put up a coop/run tomorrow. Soooo excited!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] Welcome to BYC! I'm up in the Western Sierra Foothills! Great breed choices - I always like to see when new folks decide to keep several different breeds. Such a good mixture makes a pretty flock!

5. watership

watership Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    So. Calif
    Welcome to BYC! I started with an EE and Plymouth Rock too, on the recommendation of my nephew who has a large mixed flock. They are the tamest, friendliest pets ever and lay very well, 5-7 days/wk. Have fun, and yes, they grow really fast!!

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by