Greetings from Northwest Jersey!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Red Riding Egg, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Red Riding Egg

Red Riding Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2013
    Northwest NJ
    Hiya everybody! I've been kind of lurking around getting information for a while. Finally got my girls on Thursday night, and now that they are here I thought I should join and stop lurking haha. These are my first chickens, and I've wanted chickens since I was a little kid in the city. Only have three so far (but it's a start right??) and can already tell I need at the very least 3 more (hopefully some araucanas and marans!) I have my girls inside the mudroom just off the kitchen. I figured this way I could manage their heat and light and keep a close eye on them to help me get through my first learning winter. They are red sex links, white rock/RIR and very very sweet. I knew chickens had personalities but I had no idea how STRONG those personalities are. I'm perpetually amused and just love them to pieces. Looking forward to learning everything I can and talking to people who don't think I'm as crazy as my family does right now for being so over the moon about my birds. [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You may find that having chickens in the house is not all that fun in the winter - they are VERY dusty and make a big mess. For them to acclimate to the winter weather, it would be best for them to be outside, with a heat lamp in the coop if they are very young (under 6 weeks of age). Have fun!

3. Red Riding Egg

Red Riding Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2013
    Northwest NJ
    Hiya and thanks!

Yeah, dust and mess is right haha. So far it's not all that bad. The mudroom is an addition and doesn't have its own heat, but it is fully enclosed with lots of windows. I keep a couple windows open unless it's raining or snowing so that they stay acclimated to the cold (especially in case we lose power, I want them to be conditioned to the temps) and the floor is tarped for easy clean up when they are walking around. Their house is a modified Step 2 playhouse with nest box, roosting bar and a solid hard plastic floor with substrate on top of it that keeps them up off the actual floor. All of it is easily broken down for hosing off and clean up. The first day I thought there was no way - it was like I had kept a HORSE in there overnight... [​IMG] - thought for sure they'd be outside the very next day. Things have settled now though and because there's only 3 they're fairly easy to keep up with. I hope to have more in the spring, and then everyone will be moved outside.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your chicks, at least with them that close at hand you should get plenty of opportunities to interact with them. It is amazing how individual their personalities are.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! It always amazes me how first-time chicken people are able to jump right in and enjoy their young flock. It's kind of like first-time parents.

7. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts