Greetings from not so warm, but sunny Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by phiferpharm, Dec 18, 2011.

1. phiferpharm

phiferpharm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    Hi All,

I'm a new registered member of this forum and I copied the template to tell you a little about me. Here goes:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yup, I got some chickens (and a duck) for my grand daughter to enjoy when she visits me from her home in Melbourne, Florida. I am relocating to North Florida and also have a home in Miami.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Four and I am not sure what breeds they are, but two of them are really productive little egg layers!

(3) What breeds do you have?
    I'm not sure, but after I get more time to visit around the site, I may have a better idea.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    I have a Chicken "Ark" that I built and typed in Duck pen so I can make the duck happier. The site was one of the first that came up in the search engine. It looks really interesting, so here I am.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I raise Bassett Hounds, fishing/boating in both fresh and salt water, and spoil my three grand kids as much as I can get away with.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    Well, 6 Bassett Hounds, a rescued Bird Dog, two Blue/Gold MacCaws, and "whatever critters my wife is asked to "Foster" parent for from the local Humane Society. I retired after 39 years of Active/Reserve time in the Military in September, and will be retiring as a School Board administrator from Miami-Dade County Public Schools on January 19th. I am looking forward to spending time working my twenty acres in North Florida, and Grammie already has a Honey-Do novel she has put together the past three years while she has held down the fort up here herself.

Anyway, that's my story and I really look forward to the knowledge and insight I know I will get on this site.

Doug P.

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    You can count on having all your chickens questions being answered right here! [​IMG] from Pittsburgh PA

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. chickenlover91

chickenlover91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    [​IMG] phiferpharm!! we will help answer all your chicken Q's!!

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Welcome to North Florida! Bring your long undies! It is chilly up here right now. I am about half-way between Tallahassee and Panama City.
    sharon

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    [​IMG] Glad you found us!! We are in Live Oak half way between Tallahassee & Jacksonville

Join the Florida thread @ ! Win a Platinum Poultry Membership 6 months in the!!!!

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

8. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Howdy! Glad ur here!

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I lived in Florida as a kid and I remember how cold the nights can get in the winter.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. We live 20 minutes north of Jax.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by