Greetings from NY

Wildest

Chirping
Dec 28, 2015
Colesville, NY
Greetings everyone!
frow.gif

I am brand new to the BYC community, and I am also completely new to the wonderful world of chickens!

A couple years ago, my area was hit hard by a back yard chicken craze. It even made the front headline of the local newspaper! My family and I (always wanting to live the farm life) did some research on chickens and had in mind to get about 3 chicks (the max) for my area. We looked over breeds, checked out how to build a chicken coop and read up on how to care for these animals. With a little over half an acre in the suburbs we figured we were set! However, as luck would have it, the town that I live in does not allow chickens. Every other town bordering ours does. So, we were pretty bummed about that fact but moved on with our lives.

In the early summer of 2014, I purchased my first horse (after many years of lessons and always wanting one to call my own). She is being boarded at a nearby equestrian center and I go over to see her as many times a week as I can. A couple months after purchasing her, my family decided to go house hunting for a country home. One where we can take my horse and get all the little farm animals our hearts desire.

On October 7th, 2015 we closed on an adorable raised ranch home with about 6.5 acres! Unfortunately, the property does not have a barn or pastures so we will have to get those built before I bring the horse over. However, once we started signing the papers we (very) quickly realized we can have chickens!
wee.gif

Of course, we will still have to build a coop and learn everything we possibly can on chickens. The plan is to get some chicks probably sometime during the spring or early summer of 2016. That should give us enough time to study up and build.

My apologies about the little short story here. I tend to get carried away. But I am just so excited to start learning and this forum seems like a great place to get information!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on getting your new home :celebrate Imsure once you get your horse home and chicken adventures started you will enjoy it very much. I too have my own horse but not at home, he's at a farm a little drive away but still close enough for me to go everyday to see to him. My plan for the future is to be able to get some where that can allow me to have him at home along with my flock.
Have you checked out the learning centre? Lots of great articles to help you get up and running with your own flock. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future.
Enjoy BYC :frow

You have every right to be excited - how great that now you can realize your dream. You may desire to join your state thread and might even find other chicken folks living near you.

Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens
yesss.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Yeah, chicken laws are crazy, many small towns near both of us do not allow chickens, and then some small cities do, even NYC allows chickens!!???
Next to me Oneonta just OK'd chickens, crazy.
Now you live where you can, watch out, 'chicken math' 'morehens disease' etc....
Many on the NY chicken lover!!!! thread live near you and can steer you in the right direction as to best cold hardy breeds for our area (opinions mostly Lol, I've found all do well here from the cold hardy breeds to leghorns and silkies, key is good ventilation in your coop), they might even have some hatching when you want them.

Wow, thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Yorkshire, Good luck on your future home search! I live about 40 minutes from the barn where I board my girl. If she was a bit closer, I'm sure the family and I wouldn't have started the house search so suddenly. Thanks for the link as well, I'll check it out!
big_smile.png

Yes, it seems NY chicken laws are just so completely random. But thankfully, on our little farmette, we can have as many chickens (within reason) as we wish! We don't have to limit ourselves to 3.
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Congratulations on your new home and good luck with all your plans!

Back
Top Bottom