1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings from Perry Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lowbrowfun, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Lowbrowfun

Lowbrowfun Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2013
    Perry, Florida
    Hi, I was raised in Maryland, in the Washington DC burbs and when I moved to Florida about 10 years ago I had never been near a live chicken other than at county fairs. The house that I bought on 4 acres came with a large coop with a fenced in run, so I began
    raising chickens through trial and error with mixed success. The first tough hurdle I had to overcome was predators...my run was fenced overhead, and seemed secure, but those pesky racoons, foxes and opposums found every chink in the armor. After several weeks and MANY lost birds (plus the frequent use of a live trap) I patched every gap and secured the ground to prevent burrowing.
    I have kept my flock alive through bouts of disease, hurricanes and floods, heatwaves and drought, and have added guinea fowl and ducks. at the moment I have 15 hens, 3 roosters, 4 rouen ducks and 4 guineas, and an incubator full of eggs to expand my brood.
    The intenet has come alive with resources that I with wish I had discovered when I was starting out. Most of the articles that I could find were either alarmist, making it sound like raising poultry was tough and that it took expert care to maintain a flock, or the complete opposite.. that raising chickens is so easy that they should teach it to infants. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. it is something easy that comes with a few challenges. I enjoy the fact that so many poultry hobbyists have come together in online communities, and there is always something to learn .... and new and different ways to do things. I hope that I can contibute.

2. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    [​IMG]

3. ekramer

ekramer New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    Welcome to BYC and this forum. I'm also from your neck of the woods (Silver Spring, MD), graduate of Northwood High School, class of 1972, Univ of Maryland,, College Park, class of 1976. I moved to Kansas 10 years ago, and am just now in a position to begin keeping chickens. So I joined this forum to learn the ropes. No chickens yet, but it won't be long now.

4. Lowbrowfun

Lowbrowfun Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2013
    Perry, Florida
    cool ..... Someone else from Montgomery County Md. I am Rockville High, class of 80 ...then the US Navy.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lowbrowfun, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Best of luck to you and your chickens!!

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC :) Glad you joined.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joines us!

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Your evaluation of the intricacies of poultry raising are right on the money. Be vigilant, but don't over complicate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by