Greetings from Philadelphia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cjkim76, Jul 4, 2016.

1. cjkim76

cjkim76 New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    Hi there, we live out in the suburbs just outside of Philadelphia and we have had our 4 chickens for a little over 24 hours! They are still pretty young, and not laying yet. I think they may be pullets? No matter how much reading I've done on having backyard chickens, and attempted to create a very happy habitat for them, there seem to be little details that I am still unsure about. For example, we have a hanging waterer and feeder out in the run. But when the chickens go into their coop and I close the door at night, do they need food and water IN THE COOP as well?

I intend to leave their door open until the weather gets colder, but until I am positive our coop is predator proof, I want to open and close the door myself during dusk and dawn for at least the first 2 weeks. Hence wondering if they need food and water in the coop when they are locked in.

I look forward to being part of this community! This site has been a helpful resource to many of my questions in preparing for our hens and their new home!

Thanks!
    Christine[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] That is a very nice coop and a really nice, spacious run! Looks great! The chickens are so cute, they all look like pullets to me! Closing the door at night sounds like a good idea. The food thing really depends on when you let them out in the morning. If they're going to be in there for a few hours, then I would put food and water in there, but if you let them out pretty early, they should be fine. But when it's hot out, it may be good to put a waterer in there. Thanks for joining us!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Buff Orpington88- You have a beautiful flock, and they look like all pullets to me as well.

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Great coop and run! If I am closing doors on my chicks/chickens, I always put food and water in. And that's because, I'm not always sure I will get out there as early as I am thinking..that's me! [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Christine and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. It seems like you have a great set up there - thems lucky chickens! An automatic pop door is another alternative that you may wish to consider.

Best wishes
    Ct

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. cjkim76

cjkim76 New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    I will probably put in another feeder inside made with PVC pipe so they have food and water in there. I'm having so much fun with decorating and making fun play things for the girls! Pinterest is such a great inspiration!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by