Greetings from Portugal!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AriadneCastro, Jun 25, 2016.

1. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Dear folks,

My name is Ariadne, I'm a visual artist, enthusiastic gardener and the worried caretaker of 14 birds, recently acquired. The group began with 17 but three have died by now. This is my first flock. I have done my homework the best I could before they arrived, but despite all I'm having trouble... That is how I found BackYard.Chickens, by searching for more information.

The flock consists of:

- 1 Mixed breed Rooster (c. 4 months old, started crowing a week ago). Beautifully colored plumage, son of a Silkie mom and a big, mixed breed dad.
    - 2 Mixed breed girls (c. 12 weeks old). They came from the same flock as the rooster and are also bred from Silkies. All 3 have five toes and bluish ears but appear otherwise "normal".
    - 1 White Silkie girl (c. 10-12 weeks old)
    - 2 Red Star girls (c. 8 weeks old)
    - 2 Black Star girls (c. 8 weeks old)
    - 2 Cross of Red Star and Black Star (c. 8 weeks old). I bought them as girls but they have terribly curved tails... I'm suspecting otherwise!
    - 1 Red and white boy (c. 8 weeks old). Don't know what breed, supposedly he's a meat bird but also a very loving and funny individual. I'm keeping him as a pet.
    - 1 Barred Rock cross girl (c. 8 weeks old)
    - 2 Barred Rock cross boys (c. 8 weeks old), who are currently looking very sick...

I have spent the last few months preparing the arrival of the flock, built the enclosure with little means, mostly by recycling materials and using the structures I already had in my garden. The birds have sunlight and shade, boxes to cuddle in, and two big cages with perches, where they sleep. I open and close the cage doors for them, in the morning and when the sun goes down. The enclosure even has a small, semi-protected veggie bed, for them to peck on. Plus, they get a taste of all the goodies in the garden, several times a day.

Still, chaos is on the lose... I have posted this thread about my Silkie, who is suffering from PTSD since attacked by the Rooster:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1116266/help-i-have-a-traumatized-silkie-pullet

It's been 4 days since the incident and the poor thing is wasting away. I haven't had a single answer to this, so I'm asking again, *PLEASE READ IT* and let me know any ideas you may have!

Blessings to All ***

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    Hey there
    @AriadneCastro I would like to say [​IMG]!
    I am so sorry to hear about your chicken and I am sure this is not the answer you want, but unfortunately I do not know how to help you [​IMG] I can however give you a warm welcome to our family here on BYC! You have a very interesting flock, job, and place of living! Luckily my new flock arrived about 2 weeks ago and so far out of the six none have died which is a relief. I like your setup especially with the boxes for them to go in. I would like to recommend a toy that chickens like. If you have any CD's you do not want put them on a hook and the chickens love to play with it! I have some questions if you do not mind answering
    1. How long have you had your flock?
    2. Have you had chickens before?

I also have some links to give you, I only have one to explain which is the Learning Center and you should definitely check it out because it is worth it! The other ones are less broad but good if you need help in that specific area.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Also if you have any free time and you want to post pictures and updates of you and your flock the best place to do that would be here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates

I hope you and your flock do great today and this Summer!

Justin [​IMG]

3. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Ariadne, welcome to BYC. I hope you find a solution to the problems you've been having, you're in the best of hands here on BYC. Good luck, cya around :)

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] @AriadneCastro

I haven't looked at your link yet but I will in a moment. Roosters are hard on hens and since I don't know what he did to her, I will just give you the run down on traumatized and or injured birds from roosters.

Give her an over all exam. Make sure he has not injured her. Roosters can jab them with their spurs under the wings, abdomen, and such. If they are rough enough or heavy enough, they can cause the hen to sprain or tear tendons in their legs and hips. So I would give her an over all exam to make sure she doesn't have puncture wounds or any heat or swelling from sprains.

If she got frightened enough, it can send them right into shock. Shock can kill them faster than the injury. And it can take 24 to 48 hours to pull out of shock. But they need the right treatements. Shock causes them to shut down especially in the circulation department and they can get very cold. It is summer and I don't recommend adding any heat, but don't leave her in any drafts or fans blowing on her. I would keep her inside in a fairly darkened room for a few days.

Feed her what EVER she will eat. Sick and injured birds go off their feed immediately. And at this point she needs to eat with shock. So even if that is saltine crackers and cheerios, do it. Put a tablespoon of sugar in her waterer. This will help keep her blood sugar stable and give her some energy.

Vitamins...I can't push these enough. You don't want to stress her too much, but get some liquid vitamins into her. Either some human kids vitamins, (without the iron) like Poli Vi Sol or if you have any nutri drench. 3/10ths of a ml 3 times a day on the Poly Vi Sol, 1ml per 3 pounds of chicken on the nutri drench 2 times a day.

If she does have puncture wounds, she needs to be on antibiotics. One of the "cillin's will do. Either PenG injections or Amoxicillin orally. You can use human or fish mox.

Keep her quiet and away from noise, drafts, cold air, feed her what ever she will eat, use sugar in the water and use vitamins and antibiotics if she needs them.

Once she heals over, if she hasn't been wormed in a while, I would get on that. If she has specks of blood in her Urates, she may have some cocci going on. Keep her feathers trimmed around her eyes so she can see. Silkies quite often do not see well enough to get enough food or water. I have none Silkies to wander into ponds and drown because they don't see well enough.

If she is truly only traumatized, it can take weeks to recover. Keep all roosters away from her for the rest of her days. She may need to live a quiet life. Silkies need extra vitamins ALL throughout their lives. So keep up with the vits.

Good luck with her and keep us posted! I sure hope she pulls though ok!

2 people like this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Hello Justin, thank you for your reply! My flock arrived in the beginning of this month. They are my first ones, even though my parents and grandparents used to keep chickens, I didn't pay much attention back then... Meanwhile, I've tried the cd toy you recommended. The birds didn't show much interest for now, but maybe they will, in time. I suppose it's not a good moment, with them being stressed by all those recent issues.

7. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Hello Lsky! Thank you for the warm welcome! [​IMG]

8. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Thank you a million, TwoCrows! This was a serious piece of advice, which I'm already putting into practice!

9. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Thank you BantamFan! I am also very glad to be here! ***

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I posted on your other thread in the Emergency section too. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by