Greetings from Puerto Rico!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fifi123, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Fifi123

Fifi123 New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Although I live in Puerto Rico, where almost everyone has chickens, I am a native New Yorker, from Manhattan, and have been living here for the past 15.7 years. My chickens are free range, no coop needed. They roam freely and sleep on the trees. I found this site by placing a question on a search bar. My question is about a 4 year old rooster that has a bum leg. He's been immobile for the past 4 weeks, and I know it needs to be taken out of its misery. Although he eats and drinks, he does little except for a tumble here and there trying to move. I love my rooster; bought him as a baby chick for 50 cents in November 2010. I'm just hoping someone might have a solution or a similar situation as mine. Thanks.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

3. beneduck14

beneduck14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    [​IMG] Glad to have you join this AWESOME community. Hope you find some good answers to your chickens. There's a lot of pros on this website. I Love[​IMG] Puerto Rico and will go there for vacation again someday. Have a great day![​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The first thing you need to do is examine the leg and foot. Make sure this isn't bumblefoot but looking at the pad of the foot. There shouldn't be any wounds on the bottom of his pad. Then feel up his leg to the foot joint and up to the hip. See if you feel any heat or see any swelling which could indicate a sprain or a strain.

If he has bumblefoot, he will need surgery to remove the infection in the bottom of the pad. You can search our archives here on BYC. Lots of threads on Bumblefoot surgery.

If you think he sprained or pulled a muscle, the best thing to do in this situation is try to keep him confined for a while to see if he will heal. If he sprained or strained something in his leg or hip, he needs to be kept off his leg for a while. You might keep him in a small cage for a week or two, food and water really close and see if he heals. The less he has to use his leg, the faster it may heal. A sprain can tear a tendon and in this case, they never heal.

Good luck and I hope you can get him back to good health soon!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    After four weeks it may be too late to help him. Is his leg broken?

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Amazing advice from Two Crows!

Good luck to you!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Two Crows has given you some good advice already! Good luck with your rooster.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

10. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by