Greetings from Salt Towne!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GallinaRegina, Jun 14, 2016.

1. GallinaRegina

GallinaRegina New Egg

May 2, 2016
    Hello Everyone!
    I have been lurking on this site for over a year now, but have decided to actually join the community and become active.
    In April of 2015 I brought home 5 little chicks from the feed store. It was was a much more spontaneous act than I like to admit and I was not as prepared as I should have been , but I got really inventive and resourceful and it all worked out. Those 5 little babies made a huge impact on my life in ways I could have never foreseen.
    I had a great first year with my chickens. There was no illness, no predator attacks, no unexplained deaths and no surprise roosters. I was lucky, but I'm glad I was because it encouraged me to become even more involved with chickens and to grow my flock.
    This year, however, not so lucky, but even when things have gone bad I still feel like I"m learning and that is one of my favorite things about having chickens- All the things to learn and experience.
    I currently have a total flock of 10 made up of 4 different age group.
    My current favorites are a Barred Plymouth Rock named Cordelia and a California White named Daisy.
    I live in Salt Lake City Utah just blocks from our downtown in a very chicken friendly neighborhood that I love.
    I look forward to getting to know more about this community and the stories and advice that contribute to it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us. I think that we've all (a lot of us, at least) been less prepared than we should have been when it comes to chickens, but hey, as long as we learn from our mistakes and don't have any total disasters, then all is well!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm so pleased to hear your chicken adventures have a had a good impact on your life :D Mine sure did with me and had I known I would have started my chicken adventures much sooner!! I started out with an impulse too but it was my other halfs impulse and not mine! Once the birds arrived there was no stopping me and I soon became addicted ;)

Good luck with your flock in the in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. DesRaeAnn

DesRaeAnn New Egg

Very funny because I too brought home chicks from the feed store last year and was also very unprepared. I am so glad I did though...they are a great stress reliever for me. This year I added an additional 5; Barred Plymouth Rocks (very friendly - I now have 2), Americanas and a Silky. Best decision ever was to introduce the chickens into my yard and to my 2 Jack Russell Terriers. The yard is always filled with excitement!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by