Greetings from Slidell, LA.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RSH3, May 7, 2016.

1. RSH3

RSH3 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Hi! I love birds and have kept parrots, finches, pigeons, doves, peafowl, ducks, chickens and geese for 30+ years. I've recently tried my luck at hatching several emu eggs, all but one were infertile and the chick died in the fertile egg before it hatched. [​IMG] I'm a horticulturist by trade and my other hobbies include reef tanks and breeding snakes.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - you certainly have the bird-bug pretty bad, so you are for sure in the right place! Shame about the emu eggs - are you going to try again?

There lots of threads on all sorts of subjects, including gardening and i'm sure that BYC will benefit from your experience and insights. Please feel at home.

Best wishes

CT

3. RSH3

RSH3 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Thank you CT. I may try emu eggs again next season, but I'm hoping to I can find emu or rhea chicks for sale before then. I look forward to participating in some of the forums and meeting people with similar interests.

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A few of the chicken folks used to hatch emus - I believe it is 55 days to hatch. I know there was some kind of chart that followed weight loss of eggs since they are much to dark and thick to candle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by