Greetings from So. Oregon!

Tyaker

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2018
My wife and I are new chick owners, working on a brooder with 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Light Brahma, 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, and a Cuckoo Maran. Super excited to research all your experienced advice! Building a bigger brooder, shopping for the right coop. Going to be a fun adventure!

My wife and I are new chick owners, working on a brooder with 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Light Brahma, 2 Ameraucanas, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, and a Cuckoo Maran. Super excited to research all your experienced advice! Building a bigger brooder, shopping for the right coop. Going to be a fun adventure!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens glad you stopped in

welcome egg 300 farmer connie.gif
:frow

Rjohns has given you the true about commercially built coops. They by far, overestimate how many birds can fit inside(and be comfortable) plus the coops cannot stand up to weather.

If you can build (check out BYC's coop section) or transform a shed, big shipping container(from large appliances) etc.

If you have a local Craig's list of ads, often people are giving away coops and chickens.
Sometimes free and with feed etc. Either they have to move, or just aren't cut out to be poultry people. A large dog house can make a good isolation pen if you have sick bird or are quarantining new birds.

Dog runs can be a basis for your chicken yard. Rehab stores often have windows, you could put into a coop, doors, etc.

Back
Top Bottom