Greetings from South Carolina / Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BethanySC, Sep 10, 2012.

1. BethanySC

BethanySC Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Hello, My name is Bethany. I bought three Reds from Tractor Supply at Easter time, 2012. I always wanted chickens but when I bought the three chicks I really wasn't prepared and I still do not have my pen built. I have them living in a small coop, about 2x3 feet but they are let out to "play" at least once a day. They have been very good about not wondering off too far and I can always catch them to bring them in. Daily, my sons catch small lizards, grasshoppers, and other types of bugs and feed them to the chickens along with the standard chicken feed. They love their treats!

I am having a problem. A few weeks ago two of them started laying eggs. We got wonderful eggs daily for about 2-3 weeks and then they just stopped. Its been over a week and no eggs??? can anyone tell me why that might be?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Not sure, could be changed of diet, weather? are they moulting?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] X2 on the above post

4. BethanySC

Sep 10, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    hello, and thank you for the reply. Is molting when they lose their feathers? If so, no and the diet has been consistent since they were chicks,

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes molting is when they lose their feathers. It varies how long they molt but it's usually a few weeks.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Have you had a change in the weather by you? Did they get a big fright before they stopped laying? Are they acting any different than usual?

7. BethanySC

Sep 10, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Everything seems to be fine. They did start laying earlier then I was told. Weather has been great. How old are they when they normally star laying?

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BeathanySC, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Different breeds begin at different times - 18-24 weeks to start is pretty standard. Good luck to you!!

9. Hiker

Hiker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Upstate NY
    good morning, that is the same thing i am going thru, they laid one than stopped, 1 more and stopped and over the weekend got 2 more! i think it will be more regular with time. added photos of the eggs :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Howdy! Were they laying inside the coop in nesting boxes? If you are letting your chickens free range outdoors during the morning hours the chances are they are laying their eggs and you might have to go hunting for them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by