Greetings from Southern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maris, May 15, 2010.

1. Maris

Maris New Egg

May 15, 2010
    Hi! Originally from the Netherlands, my husband and I moved to Southern California in the 3rd quarter of 2008. We both really (really!) love this part of the globe [​IMG]
    'Infected' [​IMG] by one of our neighbors, we bought ourselves our first ever chickens on March 1st 2010. A Buff Orpington and a Light Brahma. Both hens, both laying, both beautiful [​IMG] We loved the Brahma, because she was so docile. The Orpington always remained a little skittish. Unfortunately, we lost our Brahma to (what we think was) a coyote. Since then we've been taking all kinds of precautions to make sure that our remaining Orpington, and the 4 young ones that we bought in the beginning of April 2010, will be (as) protected (as possible) against predators. We have a 6 x 4 feet coop, a 10 x 10 feet dog pen (as their outside coop), and whenever there's enough 'noise' from surrounding lots (e.g. gardner activities) we let our flock out to free range. I imagine that no security system is 100% predator proof [​IMG] , but we try to protect them as best as we can.
    Our flock:
    - 1 Buff Orpington
    - 1 Black Sex-Link
    - 1 RIR
    - 2 Ameraucana's (one with beard, one without beard)
    They are our pets more than we keep them for eggs/meat (we're part-time vegetarians [​IMG] ). We do enjoy an egg every once in a while, and we do have plans to maybe expand our flock in the future, and sell our eggs. Not sure yet. Depends on what the future has in stock for us.
    Apart from raising chickens, we try to live as green as possible. We generate energy from solar, we have a vermicomposter, a regular compost bin, we grow tomatoes, cilantro, basil, strawberries, egg plant, red onion, and garlic. All small scale, and not all succesfully [​IMG] but we LOVE the 'caring' and the 'how to improve it' part!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.