Greetings From Southern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TAWhatley, Jun 23, 2010.

1. TAWhatley

TAWhatley New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Lake Forest, CA
    Hi All,

My name is Teresa, but I have gone by Terry since my college days (quite a few decades ago). I am a computer programmer, systems analyst, and database design person as far as my vocation goes. My avocation is rescuing and rehabilitating birds and animals. I've always worked with dogs and cats and got into birds about 13 years ago.

Birds have become truly a major part of my life since I discovered what wonderful beings they are. My first rescues were ducks and geese which I am still very actively involved with. Next came pigeons and doves with a few chickens here and there. Then came parrots and smaller hookbills. I guess you can see that I am now pretty much a total bird brain!

I am joining BackYardChickens for several reasons .. one to have a place to be able to ask chicken related questions as I am not a very experienced chicken person, two to offer information or assistance to others if I feel I have useful/good information for them, and three to try and find homes for some of the birds that come my way.

At the moment, I have a young chicken named Saffron that will be looking for a forever home soon ..

[​IMG]

I also have a Japanese Coturnix Quail that needs a home and will be receiving a Chukar next week that will need a home.

I would appreciate it if an experienced member here can advise if it's OK to post about birds needing homes, and if so, where to do that.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Terry

PS: Aside from Saffron, the only chicken I have is an elderly Sultan rooster who is a permanent pet.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Welcome from NY!! [​IMG]

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Hey there from San Diego [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Welcome from south GA and by the way you can post it under buy~ sell ~ auction on the index page.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    [​IMG] Terry! [​IMG] from PA!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Terry! Cute baby you have there. [​IMG] [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG]

7. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and [​IMG]. It sounds like you have experience to share. You'll learn about chickens, we'll learn about other birds. Best of luck with your little one. She looks like a Barred Rock chick but I'm just guessing.

8. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] from an hour north of you!

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] Hi! and Welcome! from San Diego. You can list any animal in the Buy~Sell~Auction forum on the opening page. It's a good place to try to find homes because you are more likely to place with experienced people.
    I have a 1 yr. old Blue Cochin Roo I'm trying to place so if you hear of anyone looking for a handsome bird he's listed in the forum right now. There is a great wealth of information here on BYC. Again, [​IMG]

10. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Hello from Carlsbad, CA. Welcome! [​IMG] Cute little chick you have there- is it a barred rock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by