Greetings from Southern Maryland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sparkleyhead, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sparkleyhead

Sparkleyhead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Hello! I have joined the backyard chicken family in hopes of learning lots about my rag tag group of rescue chickens. When I was a senior in high school, for whatever reason, I randomly decided I wanted chickens. So I badgered the hell out of the parents until they finally broke down this spring and said yes. I am now a senior in college. It was a long siege. Well this summer I readied the "chicken area" and bought the coop. Then one afternoon in the beginning of August, the sanctuary called and asked if I wanted my first chicken. She was in solitary because all the other chickens were picking on her and the fox pup they had needed to go where she currently was. So mine she became! Her name is Chica, and she is at least a 3 or 4 year old New Hampshire Red. Two weeks later they called me again saying that they had 5 chicks dropped off that were a 4H project and if I wanted them. I said yes and acquired 5 mystery chicks who I pegged to be about 3 weeks old, Fancy, Nugget, Snowball, Piper and Hedwig. And THEY are the main reason I joined. They are 11 weeks old and I can't for the life of me figure out what breeds they are. So hopefully someone will come to my rescue!
    [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you could post photos on "what gender or breed is this," and people will take their best guess. They may be mixed breeds. How nice of your to take in those needing a home.

4. Sparkleyhead

Sparkleyhead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Thank you! I will definitely try that :)

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] What a wonderful way to aquire chickens!

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Hi Sparkley Head. Glad you have opened your home to them. We need more people like you to take unwanted poultry, I frequently rehome roosters for people. I am just across the 301 bridge in Westmorland co. I will keep you in mind when trying to rehome fowl.lol
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! What a nice way to get your chickens, am sure they appreciate their new home.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by