Greetings from southern New Hampshire!

RedlegDuck

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2023
My wife and I have been keeping chickens and ducks now for close to ten years. We have had challenge, fun and tragedy in our poultry journey. Sure, the occasional loss of a bird, but nothing like the arson of our first coop!

Now, we have a coop…soon to be renamed the “Duck House”…that looks better than our own home…and a flock of runners which we love. We had given away our Copper Maran birds, having been disappointed in their egg production and the aggressiveness of the “accidental” rooster.

What with the economy and such, our financial planner suggested that we start a farm stand to sell produce from our large garden and eggs…so here we go, again! We started with six hens, a Welsemer named trouble, who was taken by a predator in the afternoon, early last week, a lavender orpington, black orpington “accidental” rooster, and a couple of golden laced wyendots. We lost a lavender orpington shortly after we moved the chicks to a coop we bought through Ocean State Job Lots…I think a raccoon opened the latch and pulled it out. Then, additionally last week, a golden laced wyendot met the same fate. So, we are down to three birds, but with nine more on the way, late this month.

We have decided to build a chicken tractor/hen house like one of the ones on this site. We have a nice covered site to park it, and our garden adjacent to the coop.

Here we go, again!

A8288847-0029-4CAE-BA5F-5E048A434DD6.jpeg
957261C4-8621-47AA-844D-57762728818C.jpeg

My wife and I have been keeping chickens and ducks now for close to ten years. We have had challenge, fun and tragedy in our poultry journey. Sure, the occasional loss of a bird, but nothing like the arson of our first coop!

Now, we have a coop…soon to be renamed the “Duck House”…that looks better than our own home…and a flock of runners which we love. We had given away our Copper Maran birds, having been disappointed in their egg production and the aggressiveness of the “accidental” rooster.

What with the economy and such, our financial planner suggested that we start a farm stand to sell produce from our large garden and eggs…so here we go, again! We started with six hens, a Welsemer named trouble, who was taken by a predator in the afternoon, early last week, a lavender orpington, black orpington “accidental” rooster, and a couple of golden laced wyendots. We lost a lavender orpington shortly after we moved the chicks to a coop we bought through Ocean State Job Lots…I think a raccoon opened the latch and pulled it out. Then, additionally last week, a golden laced wyendot met the same fate. So, we are down to three birds, but with nine more on the way, late this month.

We have decided to build a chicken tractor/hen house like one of the ones on this site. We have a nice covered site to park it, and our garden adjacent to the coop.

Here we go, again!

View attachment 3398347View attachment 3398356
Welcome to BYC!!

Glad to meet you, New England neighbor, and welcome to BYC. I am just so sorry about your losses, and beyond appalled at the arson! Good for you for picking yourselves back up.

Here are my favorite beginning articles that helped me as a newbie (though I know you aren't newbies, I think you'll find helpful stuff here). All articles are short, chock full o' tips, and have illustrations, and reviews, which are often worth looking at for the comments.

1. Intro to chicken keeping

2. Common mistakes & how to fix them

3. Ventilation (important to chicken health), with helpful links to coop designs organized by climate (because what is just right for my New England hens won't work for my brother's Arizona chickens)

4. Predator protection for new & existing coops and maybe you want electric fencing as well (in case of more arsonists, bears, etc.)

5. Dealing with a muddy coop and run

6. Winter chicken care

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

Notes about where to put a coop:

1. As far as you can, put a coop and run on high ground, that drains well, so you won't have so much muddy coop problems. Chickens need to be dry, dry, dry.

2. As far as you can, put a coop with the ventilation lined up with your prevailing breezes, and away from the direction of your storms. If you are not sure of these (who is these days?), check with your local National Weather Service website.

3. As far as you can, arrange for some sort of shade over your coop and run. Preferably deciduous so the girls will enjoy winter sun, but summer shade.

Back
Top Bottom