1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings from southwest Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silentrunning, Jan 18, 2009.

1. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    I'm glad I found this sight. My wife and I have had back yard chickens in the past. Rhode Island Reds mostly. We have also had ducks because we have a stream running thru our back yard. A couple of weeks ago something got into our duck pen at night and destroyed the pen and killed the ducks. We suspect a Panther or Bobcat since it climbed a 6 foot chain link fence and ripped the hog wire out of the cage guards.
    My wife is now retired so we can get serious about raising some nice chickens and pheasants. I first have to rebuild our pens and put an electric fence around them. We are studying everything we can find about incubators and raising chicks from eggs because there is no one locally that sells rare breeds of chickens. We want to go the egg route to get some variety in our birds. Please feel free to pass on any advice on eggs, chicks and game birds. Meanwhile I will be reading the past posts to learn what I can.

Doug

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, I so miss Alva and the smell of the citrus blossoms in March.

There are also black bears around your parts, so use several strands of electric wire. Though dry ground will be a problem, it needs to be damp.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from north central Florida. Sorry to hear about your ducks. We do have some mighty odd creatures here. Other people worry about the neighbors dog and we have to worry about Panthers, Bears, Possums, Coons and Hogs to name just a few. A lot of people hatch their own so there is a ton of help on here.

4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

HELLO! [​IMG]

Another North Central Floridian here to greet you! Welcome aboard...can't wait of you to start your new flock!!

5. RooManRed

RooManRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Albany Ga.
    [​IMG] You should find all the info on here you need. If not just ask, someone on here will help. This place is full of wonderful people.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

7. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

Sorry about your chickens.