Greetings from southwest Florida

silentrunning

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Venice, Florida
I'm glad I found this sight. My wife and I have had back yard chickens in the past. Rhode Island Reds mostly. We have also had ducks because we have a stream running thru our back yard. A couple of weeks ago something got into our duck pen at night and destroyed the pen and killed the ducks. We suspect a Panther or Bobcat since it climbed a 6 foot chain link fence and ripped the hog wire out of the cage guards.
My wife is now retired so we can get serious about raising some nice chickens and pheasants. I first have to rebuild our pens and put an electric fence around them. We are studying everything we can find about incubators and raising chicks from eggs because there is no one locally that sells rare breeds of chickens. We want to go the egg route to get some variety in our birds. Please feel free to pass on any advice on eggs, chicks and game birds. Meanwhile I will be reading the past posts to learn what I can.

Doug

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Oh, I so miss Alva and the smell of the citrus blossoms in March.

There are also black bears around your parts, so use several strands of electric wire. Though dry ground will be a problem, it needs to be damp.

Last edited:
Welcome from north central Florida. Sorry to hear about your ducks. We do have some mighty odd creatures here. Other people worry about the neighbors dog and we have to worry about Panthers, Bears, Possums, Coons and Hogs to name just a few. A lot of people hatch their own so there is a ton of help on here.

Back
Top Bottom