Greetings from SW Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by edacious, Oct 9, 2016.

1. edacious

edacious Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2016
    Buffalo, MO
    Hi all, I'm Ed. My roommate and I have two Barred Rock hens and a rooster that we got as chicks last March. I'm very much a city boy, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying raising them ... and growing veggies and flowers, and composting, and other backyard adventures. :)

The chickens seem healthy and happy so far; we're a bit worried about how they'll do over the winter, but we have time to figure that out. Any advice there is welcome! We get two eggs a day on average and the hens are very sweet (the rooster, of course, is a jerk).

We also have two dogs and a cat, which mostly leave the chickens alone, thankfully. The cat and smaller dog are scared of the rooster and the bigger dog is well behaved around them ... as long as the rooster doesn't go after her first!

My roommate also has an 18 month old that the rooster thinks of as a serious threat. He actively goes after the boy sometimes and it's a chore to keep them separate.

Looking forward to sharing stories and info on here.

-- Ed

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Ditch that rooster! There are THOUSANDS of good tempered roosters out there, the sort that would eat scratch out of a child's hand, who are seeking homes - no good reason to keep a cockbird who bites the hand that feeds. They can seriously injure kids if given the opportunity - I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

3. edacious

Oct 9, 2016
    Buffalo, MO
    THanks for the welcome!

The kid already has a couple nasty scratches on his back from a run in from the rooster, so yeah, ditching the rooster seems like a good idea. We *bought* three hen chicks, but one turned out to be male. He really does need to go to a farm somewhere ... or a nice winter stew. We're really not supposed to have him in town anyway.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Sadly, sexing is only 95% accurate on most breeds of day olds. So you may have just gotten unlucky.

Put an ad on Craigslist... mention he's human aggressive. If someone wants him, don't ask questions. Sadly most roosters end up on someone's dinner plate, the least we can do is make sure the roosters who end up there are the ones that deserve it.

5. edacious

Oct 9, 2016
    Buffalo, MO
    Craigslist! Good idea. :)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Ed, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Enjoy your chickens and thanks for joining BYC! :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. edacious

Oct 9, 2016
    Buffalo, MO
    Thank you! Good to be here. :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Young children are especially at risk fromaggressive roosters, because they are closer to the ground and easier to attack & maim. Roos also like to go for the eyes. Please keep the child away from him - till the roo is disposed of. Your hens will continue to lay eggs without him. Good riddance!

10. edacious

Oct 9, 2016
    Buffalo, MO
    We keep them well separated. But after hearing from everyone on here about the dangers, I think it's time to get rid of him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by