Greetings from sweltering Valley Station, KY (suburb of Louisville)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bobzilla58, Aug 13, 2010.

1. bobzilla58

bobzilla58 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    Hello everyone:

I am new to BYC as this is my second post. My wife and I have had 4 Golden Comet hens since May 25 of this year: Ruby, Lucy, Gertie and Peaches. We love them to pieces and we especially like the beautiful, fresh brown eggs they lay every morning.

I found out about the BYC forum through my favorite search engine, as so many of the things I looked up about chickens returned hits linking to BYC.com

I have wanted to have chickens for a couple of years now, but was just able to get my wife to warm to the idea early this year. As regards my history with chickens, I don't know why we did this when I was growing up, but we always had 1 rooster in my backyard (different ones at different times). We had two very colorful bantams, the kind with spurs and large plumes of tailfeathers. Both of them lived to become very old, long in the tooth and crusty as old sailors. We also had a huge RIR that came up to about my waist when I was a kid, but he didn't last long before going into foster care because he was mean as a rattlesnake. He would run up to you and bite a plug out of your shin Perhaps we kept them for the charm of hearing them crow every morning, but whichever rooster we had at the time would perch on a length of clothesline under the back porch and crow through the screen window about 5:30 every morning during the summer. No one minded this as we were early risers.

My hobbies include woodworking, reading, writing occasionally and gardening. My wife and I have two grown daughters, both of whom "flew the coop" earlier this year. We are expecting a grandchild sometime around Christmas.

The mercury is expected to top out at around 100-102F today, so wish me luck in keeping my girls' brains from boiling inside their skulls. We should be OK if we can make it through Saturday, as some relief from the heat is expected early next week.

2. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from New Hampshire, and congrats on the grandchild! [​IMG] I'm very happy I joined this forum for it's MANY benefits! I hope you find everything you need and get all your questions answered! (I have NO doubt that you will!)

Again welcome!! See you out there!

3. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    [​IMG]

4. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Welcome!!! I'm not to far (Nashville IN) the heats been the same here-the girls are getting alot of ice cold fruit!!! This is a great forum so many things to learn and ideas from everyone---Enjoy!!! I love all your girls names!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Congratulations! You have just stumbled upon the greatest website on the planet! No, you do not win a laptop or a cash prize! Just lots of new friends!
    (Best welcome I've ever written....) [​IMG]

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Hey there from a bit south of you. It is sweltering. I can't get the hens to leave their fans anymore. This is a great site with tons of information. If you can't find it here there is sure to be someone who can tell you anything you want to know. Welcome

7. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry you and your chicken family are suffering in the heat. We've had an exceptionally cool summer here along the coast of California. It hasn't gotten over 70. My hens love it but my tomatoes don't. Best of luck and [​IMG]!

8. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

[​IMG] This is the best website ever!!

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] . It's been a brutal summer of heat for the birds. Fall will definitely be welcome. Enjoy BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by