greetings from tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fowlin, Mar 26, 2011.

1. fowlin

fowlin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    hello from the inner basin. I stumbled upon BYC looking for info for our first guinea flock, we are picking up tomorrow. The folks on here seemed to be the best source of info and i thank you all for sharing your experience.
    I am suspecting that when we get there i am going to get hit with an impulse to pick up a couple turkeys while we are at it. I know this is short notice to ask but, if we get turkeys should we put them with the guineas straight away or keep them separated? I would hope the end result would be that they all get along perfectly and the turkeys maybe keep the guineas grounded a little. Also, i picked up some co-op mixed game bird starter that is medicated should we be concerned about consuming meat from medicated birds?
    thanks y'all.

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

3. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] When I was a kid I lived on my grandparents farm and we had chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and even some guineas. I took care of the chickens but my grandfather dealt with everything else. As an adult I've only had chickens so I don't think I would be much help with your questions.

4. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

AC

6. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!!

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Sorry I can't help you with your questions!! Never had either turkeys or guineas!! Good Luck!!

8. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I've had chickens, turkeys and ducks in the same pen and i've had chickens and guinea in the same pen. Now that the guinea are old enough to breed they want to fight with the chicken roosters to they aren't allowed in the chicken pens anymore. The only ones they don't try to hurt are the juvenile chickens. Since spring is just around the corner and for some areas iths already there, I would be very careful what you mix. I can't say for sure but I wouldn't put any adult fellas in the same pen especially if they aren't already used to each other.

Welcome and hello from West Tennessee.

9. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG] Welcome from BC, Canada. [​IMG]

10. fowlin

fowlin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    i was hoping to mix two 2-3 day old turkeys with 16 2-3 day old guinea. we have no other birds at this time. no adults to worry about. ive wanted some turkeys for a while and just figured it would be better to mix them now rather than throw young turkeys in with adult guineas next year. we plan to let them run free in the day once they have been "trained" to the coop. hoping the turkeys would be something big and grounding for them. maybe keeping them from roaming as quickly? i have no clue ive never kept either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by