Greetings from the greater Portland/Vancouver area.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gr8fuljess, Feb 3, 2015.

1. My wife and I seem to be getting serious about raising BYC's for eggs. Since we live in an urban area we want a small flock, 3-4 chickens. I am sifting through tons of information on breeds. Any recommendations? We have two toddlers so prefer very calm birds, reasonably quiet and suitable to the NW climate, while maximizing egg production. Is it best to mix the flock up with different breeds, or does that matter? Where are some of the best places to buy chicks around here?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined.
    I hope this helps! Good luck with any future birds!

2 people like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Wyandottes7 gave you some good advice. I would also highly recommend the Wyandotte: mine have been gentle, hardy, productive layers.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am an Orpington fan...Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Both of these breeds are very docile, friendly and are great with kids. These breeds can tolerate the kid traffic! These are both great layers and are very weather hardy especially during cold weather. My Black Australorps are HUGE on lap sitting and are very affectionate.

Yes, you can mix different breeds of birds. If you get them as chicks and raise them together, they will all get along.

Feed stores are the best place to find chicks in the spring time. If you are looking for adult birds, you might look on the feed store bulletin boards. Sometimes people sell their flocks this way. Just keep in mind, raising chicks yourself will give them that loving bond to you. where as buying adult chickens, sometimes they may never warm up to you.

Good luck with what ever breed you choose and we do welcome you to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. If sheer egg production is a priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you prefer a standard breed instead of a hybrid (as hybrids will not breed true and you will have to replace your stock by purchasing from a hatchery) I would suggest Australorps, which are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. Dunlap Hatchery is a smaller, family owned hatchery located in Caldwell, Idaho, which carries both Black Sex Links and Australorps. The folks at Dunlap are very friendly and helpful. I've purchased chicks from them on several occasions (as well as from 3 other hatcheries) and Dunlap is my very favorite.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Orpingtons are my favorite breed! I love their affectionate, loving and cuddly personalities!

1 person likes this.
  10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by