Greetings from the Heartland - Kansas City, MO

DeeAnn5

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Hello. My husband and I purchased 2 Barred Rock hens from someone in Kansas (Craigslist) at the end of August. We have a small chicken tractor in our backyard that seems to be a good home for them. My favorite thing is to give them free range time and move the tractor to a clean area, then fill the next boxes with fresh hay. My birds are just so sweet and appreciative. They weren't pets at the place where we got them, and they were maybe about 3 - 4 months old. So that would make them 5 & 6 months old. No eggs or crowing yet. I have spent this weekend trying to figure out once and for all whether they are hens or roosters, and am going to post on that.

This site has helped a lot, because I knew nothing about chickens. I got the grit and calcium and hopefully my chickens are really healthy - they seem really happy and I know how to tell if they get sick. I need to learn more about the food. For now I'm just feeding laying pellets that I buy by the pound. I was afraid to buy the 50 pound bag because I didn't want it to mold in my basement, and not be good for the chickens. I know a lot about wild birds and have a lot of experience with wildlife rescue. Love my Barred Rocks! My sister named them for me, Little and Patty.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Are those your birds in your Avatar? Looks like one might be a boy.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Looks like you have a rooster and a pullet.

oh thank you so much! We`ve learned also today from BYC that we should still be feeding the Grower food not the Layer and are going to definitely fix that. Sad to learn that Patty is a rooster, since a rooster is . not allowed here : ( The man we bought her from had told us he would replace the bird if she was a he. Very sad to lose Patty but the folks on my "gender" post today agreed. we wont return him immediately though. No Wonder he hasn`t laid an egg!;):idunno

Yes that`s Patty and Little in my avatar. We have not owned chickens before. Little loves to ride on my shoulder and sit in my lap : ) I can`t believe how fun they are or I would have bought them before now!

Back
Top Bottom