Greetings from the Laurel Highlands

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OrigDogfish, Oct 25, 2013.

1. OrigDogfish

OrigDogfish New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    SW PA
    I live on Grandview Mountain in SW PA... the mountain that the Grandview Ship Hotel used to be on before it burned down in 2001, years before I moved here. Quite a landmark apparently... Google it if you aren't familiar.

Someone had dumped a flock of about 25 chickens out at our gate where our private road joins the public (dirt) road. I can't imagine why someone would... but they did. I managed to catch 2 of them before this article appeared. Soon after there were many people catching them and I didn't get any others.

I have what I think is a Rhode Island Red and a Barred Rock. They have been calm and friendly since I got them. They have laid eggs every day... the Red may miss a day every couple of weeks... the Rock has been steady.

I have built them a fairly elegant coop and run. I will post pics sometime.

The Red started to get broody and moving them to the new coop broke that. It has been about a month and she is getting broody again. I would like to get more hens and a rooster... but now seems like the wrong time of the year for chicks.

I've been using this site as a reference guide for awhile now... finally decided to join. Look forward to meeting some owners in my area and hopefully getting more chickens.

-Jim

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! It always amazes what people would do to birds and animals. I'm glad your girls ended up at a good home!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! It sounds like you wound up with a really nice set of hens. Who can figure why some people do what they do. If you don't want to get chicks this late in the year, you have all winter to plan on the new additions for next spring...

4. OrigDogfish

OrigDogfish New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    SW PA
    Thanks for the Welcome sumi and kelsie2290.

Here is a pic of my hens... a Red and a Rock... right..?

[​IMG]

I don't understand why someone would dump them... they were all laying... we found two large egg nests where they stayed, all seemed healthy and it would take more work to pack them up and take them for a ride than it would to post a "free" ad on CL or in a newspaper.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It really makes no sense, like you say, it should have been darn easy to sell them for a decent price with just a minimum amount of effort. Makes you wonder if somebody was mad at somebody else in the family and dumped them or maybe somebody bought a house or something and they came with it. You'd think if they were stolen somebody would have come forward after that article unless they were from far away. Agree looks like you have a commercial red of some sort, can't really tell from the picture and a Barred Rock, nice start to a flock.

6. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Welcome to BYC! As my husband always says "I've been to 3 World Fairs and 2 Pig ropings but I've never seen anything like that". It is truly amazing what people will do with animals. While I am not a PETA person, I certainly don't condone abusing animals in any way. Glad your girls have a good home.

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]great save [​IMG], I hope the other people that grabbed them up will be as good to them as you are.

9. OrigDogfish

OrigDogfish New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    SW PA
    @ kelsie2290
    "stolen"... Do I have to be concerned with chicken rustlers as well as all the predators up here..?

I lock them in the coop at night and let them out in the morning. It's secure... a bear could get in but he could get in my house if he wanted to. The run has fencing on top to keep hawks out. Anyone know if rattlesnakes go after chickens in the day time..? I would think they prefer chicks to full grown. The second night that I had them my dog stepped up and decided to guard them at night. He hangs out and barks warnings at anything that needs it.

@ jmandawn, All Henned Up and drumstick diva
    Thanks all for the welcome... perhaps there will be others that got chickens from the Forsaken Flock that will post on this site.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Happy you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by