Greetings from the Monterey Bay

RFCA

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Redemption Farms, Prunedale, CA
Hello feathered friends! My name is Marsha and I have been lurking for a long time. I actually signed up just so I could post to the Pacific Poultry Show Pre-Sale page. I’m on a mission to find a raise really nice Dorkings. Working against me is that I’m fairly new to chickens, though I had them as a kid and we have a tiny six hen flock for eggs right now. Working in my favor is I refuse to think that the fact that I’m new to chickens is a huge problem. I’ll surround myself with people who are smarter than I am (that might be you!) and eventually, I too will be a chicken eggspert! (Come on, I can’t be the only one who said that.)

I live with my husband and three step-kids on a 36 acre ranch in Monterey County, CA. We have a couple of goats for entertainment, rabbits for meat and four horses, to eat the rest of my paycheck. We also have a fantastic Dutch Shepherd. The dog eats a raw diet, which is how I ended up with meat animals. We recently processed our first round of roosters, an interesting experience for a vegetarian of 18 years. I won’t say I enjoyed it but it was easier than I thought it might be. All of our animals are pastured to the extent that we are able. The rabbits are raised in a tractor with access to fresh grass every day. The goats wander the property. The small flock is turned loose near their coop on most days.

I’m not the only member of my family to get the chicken bug. My middle step daughter, who is 13, has recently decided to sell some of her eggs from her flock of six. Breeding dorkings will be a fun project for us to do together.

At the risk of sounding like a hoarder, I am also interested in Bearded d’Uccles and either Bourbon Reds or Narragansett turkeys though after lurking on this site for a while, I doubt anyone here would accuse me of that.

I look forward to gleaning knowledge from you and hopefully sharing some of my successes (and failures, I’m sure.)

Cheers,
Marsha

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome, Marsha! I used to live in Monterey county near the bay, long before I considered keeping chickens. Your location drew me to your post... I am VERY familiar with Monterey County as I was a 9-1-1 Dispatch Supervisor there for many years.

Hoarder? With 36 acres!?!? Ha!

I have gone the "look at all the pretty & different chickens" route. Then added ducks, a couple of geese, and now three turkeys. My "extra" roosters go to a friends' Freezer Camp (although they have also kept some of the more cool Roos...) and they process them, keeping half of the booty and giving half to me to eat. I'm a wuss.

Anyway, enough blathering on my part. You will SO enjoy the community within BYC.

Ok, Gryeyes, that is very weird. I too am a dispatch supervisor for Santa Cruz/San Benito Counties. (We took over San Benito last year.) We might be kindered spirits!

We live in Prunedale. It's the only place I could find a really nice chunk of land that we could afford (while still affording to keep our animals in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.) I know everyone jokes about it being Prune-tucky but we're working on getting that changed to Prune-tuscany
lol.png

My sister in law always says she's one bad decision away from being a hoarder. I totally get that. I hold on to the fact that two of those horses aren't mine and one of them has skills that pays his bills. As for the ckickens, I figure if I'm breeding with purpose, it's not hoarding. It's improving the breed. I'm going to lead my husband in the same chant.

Back
Top Bottom