Greetings from the Motor City!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HenriettaPlume, Jan 11, 2014.

1. HenriettaPlume

HenriettaPlume Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I are first-time backyard chickeneers. We plan on getting three chicks in late February from a hatchery in northern Michigan. In the meantime, we have spent the last three months building a palace, umm, I mean chicken coop for our soon-to-be girls. So far the process has been a blast, and we've really enjoyed learning about chickens along the way.

The BackYard Chickens website has been a valuable resource, especially to us newbies.

We are chronicling our efforts in a blog: Chicken Scratch Fever. It details our victories and defeats on this awesome journey.

Nice to meet you all, and I look forward to some enlightening conversations!

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome.

Absolutely beautiful coop! Sorry about the flooding. I'm no contractor, but perhaps digging down and adding a layer of gravel under the run, before adding the final top layer will facilitate better drainage?

Best of Luck.

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Very nice, welcome in

4. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Thanks so much for the warm welcome! We are considering the layer of gravel, add a ton of sand approach. Anything to raise the elevation a bit. :)

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Hope you stop by the Michigan thread and say Hi, look in the Where am I - Where are You section of the Forum.

6. HenriettaPlume

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Thanks so much, 1muttsfan! I just got back from a short trip to visit Marquette. I love the UP!

7. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Nice palace! Welcome to BYC! :welcome

1 person likes this.
  8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Love your coop! Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Beautiful coop, the blog is fun, can't believe you are supposed to have everything done in 30 days. Darn about the flooding, you might check if you have a local gravel quarry, it can be fairly reasonable to have a load of gravel or sand delivered rather than getting it by the bag.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by