Greetings from the North

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leighlir, Apr 29, 2017.

1. leighlir

leighlir Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2017
    Hi!

I live west of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, on a farm with my husband and our two kids (2 and 4). We had chickens for 4 years at our old house ( 20 ISA brown pullets). I grew up in town so it was a steep learning curve for me but I loved it. My favourite animal even as a very little girl was always chickens. My mom always laughed the other girls could have their ponies and bunnies, I adored chickens! Haha.

When we moved 2 years ago we didn't have a coop at our new house (just tractor sheds for my husband [​IMG]) so I finally purchased a coop and have chickens again. I decided to downsize a bit so have bought a smaller coop built by someone local, it can accommodate 6-10 chicks and I ordered 12 ISA brown pullets chicks (13 came), but then on a whim also bought 4 buff orpingtons and 7 Easter Eggers from a local breeder thinking it would be fun for the kids. I gave 6 of the ISA browns to a friend so I'm left with 18 chicks...downsizing is harder that I thought [​IMG]!

They are 5 weeks old now and I was really hoping I'd be able to tell who were roosters soon to give to another friend before I ran out of space...but I'm having a bit of trouble. I have only purchased sexed vaccinated chicks before, so detecting gender is a new skill for me. I joined the site to hopefully get a bit of advice in that regard, but am learning so many other things too...I already have a batch of feed started fermenting in the garage and didn't panic 3 days ago when I saw red chicken poo (I think now from reading this site it was intestinal lining since none of them seem sick and it hasn't happened again).

This is such a useful forum, and I'm looking forward to all I can learn from you guys!

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey! :welcome I live close to Edmonton too. Nice to see somebody close! Have you heard of a website called Duckopolis? You could probably hear their peacocks from where you are! :D

3. leighlir

Apr 23, 2017
    I haven't heard of that website, but I just looked them up and yup very nearby!

4. RockerChicks

RockerChicks Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2014
    welcome! I am new to.. :) I actually was in Edmonton last spring for a photography workshop... such a great city/country! :)

5. leighlir

Apr 23, 2017
    Yup a Pretty great place to live, I love it..although we still have snow...that's not so awesome.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Did you know there is a thread " Canadians- check in here." So you can see what your countrymen are up to. There is also a very interesting thread called "J'est Another Day in Pair A Dice." started and narrated by a very nice woman Tara. who lives in Alberta. It's hard to believe all her animals (hair sheep, chickens, ducks, geese, swans, Llama, Australian Cattle dogs, handle all the brutal winter weather.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - I am so glad you've joined us!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under leighlir [​IMG] Welcome!

If you post some pictures on the Breed & Gender Forum you should get some expert opinions on gender: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by