1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings from the Rainy Northwest!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SadieSue, Nov 5, 2010.

1. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    I've been a member for a few months, but this is my first post! I've been reading and studying because I want to set up a small coop in the spring. We're limited here in Pierce County as to the number of hens we can have on our property so I need to do this right. I would like to get only 3 or 4 hens. I do have the breeds narrowed down that I'm interested in. (Marans, Auracauna or Americauna, blue egg layer, and a Wyandotte) I will not be breeding or showing. I want friendly hens, good layers and pretty eggs. These will be pets. I'd like a good lead on how to find the best breeders in the area so I can be certain to obtain nice, purebred hens. How do we find poultry clubs so I can begin networking now? Any help would be MUCH appreciated! TIA! [​IMG]
    Sadie

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Welcome from Oregon!

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Hi neighbor! Welcome from Graham/Eatonville area. You will have a load of chickens within 2 months of getting your first few I bet! You will get so hooked. Check out the thread(where am I where are you) Washinngton. There are folks local that can answer lots of questions. Glad your here! Shoot, I just got rid of my maran hens this week but if you want a BCM roo I will give you one if you want him. He will go to auction next week.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  5. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Hi neighbor! Welcome from Graham/Eatonville area. You will have a load of chickens within 2 months of getting your first few I bet! You will get so hooked. Check out the thread(where am I where are you) Washinngton. There are folks local that can answer lots of questions. Glad your here! Shoot, I just got rid of my maran hens this week but if you want a BCM roo I will give you one if you want him. He will go to auction next week.

Thank you for the welcome - we ARE neighbors! I did check out the Washington thread - I think it's going to be very helpful. Timing is everything, I haven't got my coop set up yet so wouldn't have had a place for your maran hens darn it. And as much as I'd *like* a rooster, don't think I can have one where I live. Maybe we'll have opportunity to meet in the spring when I'm ready for my girls though!​

6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    [​IMG] from across the mountains! I used to live in graham and lakewood, so know pierce county pretty well!
    there are several shows put on here in washington, I myself am just getting started in that aspect of "chickening"
    Its fabulous fun!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG] from just west of you in Forks, WA. [​IMG]

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from the dry Southwest and [​IMG] Have fun planning for your chickens!

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from california

10. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome from just East of you on the plateau.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by