Greetings from the Sunshine State!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ByeEyed, Jun 12, 2016.

1. ByeEyed

ByeEyed Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    Hello hello! I am Bye.

Now you might already be thinking "why Bye?"

Simply put it messes with people's minds to say Hello Bye!! :lol:

That said, I am brand new to chicken ownership! My first batch of chicks ever arrived a week and half ago and I am proudly owned by 5 lil baby peeps.

Wait a minute... Errr.... Should I have said that the other way around? :confused:: I'm sure quite a few of you have already encountered that quandary already!

Since I never had experience with chickens and wanted to have a variety of colors and breeds, I chose an australop, mille fleur de uccle bantam, silver laced wyandondette, easter egger bantam, and an appenzeller spitzhauben. It has been such an awesome time so far watching the lil peeps and I've reslly enjoyed lesrning about their quirks and likes/dislikes. I do not have names for them yet but will change that as their personalities become more prominent. It will be a small flock, kept primarily for eggs.

Also gracing me with her continued presence is the lovely Cap'n Stella Bella, a female white boxer dog. She is slowly transitioning from the concept that all small fuzzy things must be chased down to all small fuzzy things except a certain 5 fuzzybutts are to be chased down but I remain optimistic she will learn to coexist in peace with the chooks.

I look forward to meeting more of you and sharing in my adventures with the lil peeps and the Cap'n Stella! I will be posting shortly over in building coops as I have a question/dilemma about the run and its location/building. Thank you so much for your time snd I look forward to chatting and learning more about chickens and their ancient mysteries!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    "Hello Bye!" Lol

Welcome to BYC! And goodness, Cap'n Stella is BEAUTIFUL! We have a fawn and white boxer female named Liberty who does the same thing with her ears when starring at the chicks. We've been working on the same transition with her about what she can chase or play with and what she can't. It seems our chicks are too fun not to mess with so she likes to paw at the brooder when she thinks no one is looking, though, she knows better and won't paw at them directly. At least, she hasn't yet, lol. It's a slow process, but she's doing very well, especially since boxers are known to be "bad" with small animals. I'm so glad Cap'n Stella is learning to defeat this negative assumption as well. Good luck with your new babies and their very big, furry sister!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Congrats on the new babies! They are sure fun at this age. Love your dog! He sure looks like a snuggler. Be careful with dogs. Many of them see chickens and especially chicks as food. Lots of dog attacks and kills in our Emergency section. You might look through some of our threads on keeping harmony and training the dog to co exist with the flock. Keep in mind some dogs learn and others never will...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700017/how-to-train-your-dog-not-to-kill-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/778988/training-a-dog-to-leave-chickens-alone

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...d-chickens-tips-for-a-harmonious-introduction

Enjoy your new flock! If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock! :)

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Bye

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on getting your new chicken adventures underway :clap
    You have some great advice and links to check out above so I will wish you the very best of luck for the future.

Enjoy your new babies and your time here on BYC :frow

5. ByeEyed

ByeEyed Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    Thank you for the warm welcomes! I appreciate the links and whatnot! I will be definitely reading through these for tips!

LaurelTree, your girl sounds utterly adorable and I love the name Liberty! Boxers are just a phenomenal breed and I will always have a boxer as long as I live! I have heard the same about their attitudes toward smaller critters but firmly believe that because my Stella was raised by 2 jack russels and a chihuahua on a horse farm, she really was taught to respect small things that stand up and tell her what for. [​IMG]

Stella has already had her face pecked several times by the chicks as they are not afraid of her. They also don't run from her which has helped immensely in decreasing her prey drive. She is still fascinated by them and I absolutely won't trust her alone with them for a long time but I am very optimistic! If she could learn to live with a cat and two kittens and even adopt one as her baby, she can learn to live with chickens! (or remain banished to the house whenever the chickens are out but that is her choice hehehe)

TwoCrows, thank you for your compliment on Stella! She is an absolute champ at snuggling. Thank you for your links! I will be referencing them for any additional tips I can implement to integrate Stella and the flock more smoothly.

Yorkshire Coop, thank you for the welcoming words! I appreciate it and will definitely enjoy my time here on BYC!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Loved your introduction post! I too am owned by a growing collection of chickens here, so I know what you mean. Best of luck with the dog training and enjoy the site!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by