Greetings from the very south of Europe!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stiletto, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Stiletto

Stiletto Songster

Mar 20, 2019
    Southern Iberia
    I got my first three chickens in 2015 and have kept a little flock since then. It’s been quite a learning curve, with a high rate of perdition as well as unexpected additions.

Right now I have five chickens:

Coucou de Rennes
    Marans (Black Copper)
    Welsumer
    Australorp
    Araucana / mix

We also have three handsome roosters who live in the dog run, apart from the chickens. (It is a huge run, with plenty of foliage, rocks and bushes.) Incidentally, I didn’t want any roosters, which is why I bought two more chickens in 2017: Bina, a Pita Pinta Asturiana and Gina, an Euskal Oiola. However, it transpired that Bina was actually a Bob, and we didn’t see a single egg from Gina until well after she emerged from her hiding place with a brood of 12 chicks. Athos, Porthos and Aramis are the remaining survivors.

The primary reason for getting chickens was to have fresh organic eggs from contented chickens with ample space to forage. I also reckoned they would help keep the (wild) grass down and provide fertiliser. I have grown to really enjoy having them around, I find them such curious creatures to observe! Small feathery dinosaurs with continual noggin bobbing and the uncanny ability to keep their eyes and head all but motionless at one level, while the lower body moves up, down and around - that bit never gets old! Vigilant, efficient killers of little creatures yet vulnerable, easy prey to larger ones. Such contrasts! They have their individual preferences and personalities... plus they provide eggs! What’s not to love?!

I enjoy photography and different art projects, as well as being in nature.

My husband and I belong to a Bengal cat and three dogs: a Spanish Mastiff, a Beauceron and a mystery mix (who is responsible for a significant chunk of our chicken losses).

I’ve been using BYC as a resource since I got my first chickens and thought it was about time to sign up for an account!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    :welcome
    Your flock sounds like a very wonderful bunch. And those breeds! :love :drool

So sorry for the losses :hugs

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Sorry one of your dogs is naughty and killed some of your chickens. Any of my three would slaughter my flock with glee.
    I would love to see some of the chicken photography you must have in your collection!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word!

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your losses. :hugsBut we are super glad you decided to join us! :)

5. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    :yesss: :welcome :yesss:
    Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

42285534-DBCB-4B54-84F0-3F0CF033DB82.jpeg

6. HennyPenny2019

HennyPenny2019 Songster

Nov 23, 2018
    West Virginia
    Welcome to the flock, can’t wait to see pictures of your chickens.

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Crossing the Road

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome! Glad you decided to join us :welcome Nice intro. Sorry you lost part of your flock.

8. Perris

Perris Songster

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
  9. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join us! :welcome

10. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC! Sorry to hear about your loss.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: