1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Greetings from Toledo!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ToledoCarGuy, May 18, 2017.

1. ToledoCarGuy

ToledoCarGuy New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Toledo, OH
    Total newbie to the chick scene! Urban gardener that decided to give this chicken thing a shot...... like I said I'm totally green to this and what a great site and community you have here, honestly the info I found here pushed me over the edge to make the commitment to do this. Thanks for the info, as I look forward to experience expanding my knowledge on raising my new found friends!!! Any helpful hints, tricks or info is greatly appreciated...... I plan on repurposing some pallets and spare wood siding to build a coop & run this weekend, can't wait for my chicks to have a place to call their own. Thanks again!!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

This link may be useful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/35724/?q=pallet+coops&o=date

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

ToledoCarGuy likes this.
  3. Colonel-Sanders

Colonel-Sanders Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Ohio
    Firstly, :welcome. Isn't this site just so awesome? Anyways, thanks for finally making the decision to join us in the BYC community! A helpful tip when building the coop would be to not use wire big enough that they can get their heads through. Also, baby and adolescent chooks seem to have a knack for knocking over food and water bins so be careful!

ToledoCarGuy likes this.
  4. ToledoCarGuy

ToledoCarGuy New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Toledo, OH
    Yes I have found out about the knocking over things the hard way as I'm on day 12 with them! Having a blast and appreciate the heads up..... I plan on using either 1/4" or 3-8" square wire as we tend to see a fox from time to time here in our side of the city.....

5. ToledoCarGuy

ToledoCarGuy New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks!!! I'll definitely be checking those links out before anything further takes place!!!

6. ToledoCarGuy

ToledoCarGuy New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Toledo, OH
    So I guess another newbie question regarding my side chicks: Is there a norm or anything to look out for along the lines of my girls while they're out grabbing bugs or when they're in the temp housing and June bugs get in and they all go crazy..... is there a limit to what's healthy? Again I'm totally new with my feathered friends....... I can tell you just about anything to do with organic gardening but this is all new to me lol

7. Mooker

Mooker Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2017
    Welcome! :frow

ToledoCarGuy likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think chickens are programmed to eat anything that won't eat them. They will grab snakes, mice etc. :sick In fact if a chicken gets something the others will often chase her in a wild game of "keep away," not for sensitive viewers.

ToledoCarGuy likes this.
  9. ToledoCarGuy

ToledoCarGuy New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Toledo, OH
    Hahaha! Yes I've witnessed this game the sat couple of nights, I think it's better than watching tv!!! All I can hear when the game is going on is the benny hill music playing.......:wee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by