Greetings from Upstate South Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leirob007, Apr 4, 2012.

1. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    I am not new to the website or reading the forums. I find it quite relaxing to come in here and read the forums, look at coops and chicks and forget the days pressures.
    I've made a lot of mistakes in my time. and I learned how to overcome them.

Last hatching season I was not happy at all. I had hatch rates averaging 65% for several hatches.
    At the end of the winter I ran into an old man who gave me some advice. He hatched chickens for over 70 years of his life before he finally quit.
    I told him about my hatches and how I'd always have a few that did not hatch. They candled out good all the way to hatch day. then nothing. but a dead egg that was slam full of wet baby bird. once in a long while I'd have one to pip open and leak yolk then die.
    I went on to tell him about a few articles I have read in dry air hatching and asked his opinion.
    He kinda snickered at me and replied " quit drowning your chicks and don't dehydrate them either. " " Don't be in such a confounded hurry to put water back in that thing ( incubator )"
    I dwelled on his advice for awhile and all of a sudden I got excited about hatching eggs again.

My First hatch this year I let the incubator fall into the 30% range before adding water back in it.
    results--------- 14 out of 16
    That Hatch was done in a GQF Hovabator with an egg turner
    My Second hatch I let the incubator fall to the high 20's on the Humidity
    results ---- 19 out of 20
    I bought a Little Giant Still air incubator and moved these to it on the 18th day.
    My Third hatch I let it fall to the low 20's
    results ------ 19 out of 20
    I added a Fan kit to the Little Giant here.
    My Forth hatch I let it fall to 18% Humidity between refills
    results----- 20 out of 20

I had planned to stop hatching this spring there BUT ( there is always a but )
    My brother Brought me 14 green eggs from a friend on the other side of the state. Another friend brought me 10 of his game eggs to hatch. so I gathered up 2 days of eggs and set 15 of my RIR/BR crosses. I'll let you know my birthday how it turns out.
    I hope this helps someone along the way.
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] . Can't wait for you to share your knowledge on the forum
  3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    You sound like you have a very interesting background. Congratulations on such successful hatches! You've obviously learned a lot. Good luck, I hope this one is just as good! :D

Enjoy the forums, see you round. :frow
  4. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    It's you, the people of BYC that actually started my quest for the " Perfect Hatch "
    So I can not take the credit there. but OWE the results I have gathered and documented so well with notes and hatch calendars for every hatch to the people of BYC.
    There are no competitions on here. Only a family environment where we can talk to our other "brothers and sisters" with a common intereast.
  5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats :thumbsup
  6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
  7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Chicken Obsessed

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]
  8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

9. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Southern California! [​IMG]
  10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by