Greetings from Vermont

Herewegoinvt

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
Beautiful Downtown Vermont
After reading posts here for several years my family and i finally began raising chickens recently and picked up, rather unexpectedly, six lovely Buff Orpington chicks in April. I say unexpectedly as i found the contact info for a local, who i believe is a member here, when I asked if she had chicks she responded by saying she did and asked if I could pick them up the next day! Thankfully i had been chicken sitting and my own girls and wife list their fears of raising chickens after our sitting session ended and were thrilled at the thought of getting our own. So we leapt into it.

I always heard Orpington's were friendly, but i don't know if that's a strong enough word. They seem like the golden retriever of chickens! Four of our six girls can't seem to wait to be picked up and held, will jump up on our laps when we have them in the yard and run toward me, rather than away from me, when I approach. Two are a bit suspicious, but they seem to come around quickly. I raised a few chickens as a child and had neighbors who always raised birds for eggs and meat, but learning my own lessons along the way. The chickens recently moved out into the backyard (from the basement) now that their coop is complete and they're big enough to leap out of the giant box i had them in. We plan to feed them a lot of spent brewing grains, suitable 'compost' from our kitchen and local restaurants, along with local 'Green Mountain' feed. Thankfully i have found lots of resources on here and have the list of what not to feed the chickens on the wall in our kitchen that my daughters like to check.

:welcome from another Vermonter! You should come join us in the Vermont thread :) Orpingtons are a great breed, I have several myself. They will definitely hatch you chicks in the future if you decide you want more chickens!

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new flock!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom