1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Greetings from WI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pyro01, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Pyro01

Pyro01 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Menomonie, WI
    Hello all!

I don't have chickens but I joined because I just acquired Cotournix Quail and I've found some of the quail threads too be quite useful. I also have a red tailed hawk which is one of the reasons I got the quail. The hawk eats about a half quail a day, and I figured it'd be cheaper to be able to buy quail locally when I need them instead of ordering them from RodentPro.

Quail are pretty amusing to watch, and they are perfect for our property since the hawk is already taking up a portion of the backyard, and we can't have ranging chickens in the neighborhood. Looking forward to contributing.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. We've had members with all kinds of poultry, even emus and ostriches, but I think you're the first person I've seen post on here who has a hawk. I mentioned on an earlier post in Random Ramblings that I had a friend who used to have a Great Horned Owl. I'm sure the food your hawk eats is similar to what his owl ate. It was surprising how much that owl (it was a big one) could eat. If you find you are running short of quail, you could always breed rats or mice to take up the slack. Good luck with your hawk.

3. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Songster

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. Pyro01

Pyro01 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Menomonie, WI
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Great photos. Thanks for posting. Red Tailed Hawks are magnificent birds (as long as they're not anywhere near my chickens). :eek:)

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, I just love the art of Falconry! Of course, for me, it is more the keeping of the hawks. I got to hold a female Red-tailed Hawk once on my gloved wrist, and wow....talk about being in heaven!!! I think I carried that high around for days! LOL Love your avatar! Beautiful bird you have there!

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

10. Pyro01

Pyro01 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Menomonie, WI
    He's a funny hawk, likes to watch TV with us and look at the dog and cat, often when they pass by he'll turn his head upside down. I'm gonna miss him after I let him go next spring, but he was the perfect first bird to have. The quail are a lot of fun to have, they exhibit all the same behaviors the hawk does. Aside from the hunting that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: