Greetings from Wisconsin!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by riverchicks, Aug 3, 2011.

1. riverchicks

riverchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Late this spring, my husband's friend offered us four laying hens he could no longer keep within the village. Another friend also gave us a chicken tractor. We had been thinking of getting chickens for awhile for our boys to enjoy, so we didn't hesitate to take everybody up on their free offers! Sadly, we lost two hens to extreme heat during the summer and a couple weeks later a predator tore into the chicken tractor and killed the remaining two hens. We had so enjoyed our hens, such beautiful ladies, that we decided to start from scratch. My husband is in the process of building a new coop and run, making it as safe as can be. We currently have 16 adorable chicks we received in the mail almost two weeks ago. We have two of each breed, Barred Rock, Black Australorp, Light Brahma, Silver & Golden Laced Wyandotte, White Leghorn, Buff Orpington and of course the Easter Eggers. Our boys, ages 8 and 11 are having a blast with the chicks! We are learning a lot as we go along and having a ton of fun too!

As a family we like to do many outdoor activities and we spend a lot of time on the WI River, kayaking, boating, camping and fishing. We also have two dogs, a cat and a guinea pig. We look forward to watching our little ladies grow and can't wait to have those awesome eggs again. I'm so grateful for the BYC website and forum. The information available is incredible!

2. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    I am the first to say [​IMG]. I am sorry for your loss but it is nice that you were able to pick up and go on with new chicks. have fun here and learn everthing that you can.

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  5. regulon

regulon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    [​IMG] from Indiana [​IMG]

6. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Also from Wisconsin... got our first chicks this past spring and our first eggs last week. Welcome!!!

9. bogwitch

bogwitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    South Central Wisconsin
    Yay! Wisconsin cheeps! [​IMG] Where have you been getting feed?

10. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by