Greetings, new to this group

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Birdvet, Jul 20, 2010.

  1. Birdvet

    Birdvet New Egg

    8
    0
    7
    Jul 20, 2010
    Hillsborough
    Hello All,

    I am so thrilled to have found this community and even more thrilled that there are so many pet chicken enthusiasts here. I have been searching for something like this.

    My name is Dr. Greg Burkett. I am a Board Certified Avian Veterinarian. I own and operate a private practice specializing in birds. I see only birds and have only seen birds since graduating in 1993. My practice is 85% parrots, and I see lots of chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, peafowl, wild birds, raptors, ratites, and all other feathered friends, which make up the other 15%. Some of my best clients are pet chicken owners - all wonderful people with spectacular birds - often willing to do more for their $2.00 chicken than some of my clients with $2000.00 parrots.

    I NEVER eat poultry of any kind, but I do not judge those who do. After all, I do live in one of the largest poultry producing states - NC. I do however, eat lots of eggs and get them from my girls. I have two coops with a total of 8 birds. (picture posted). I also have a pet rooster who lives indoors inside a large parrot cage. His name is Tucker (picture posted). He is a terrific pet. He loves me, follows me wherever I go, sits on my desk when I work, helps in the garden when i am outside, just the best pet ever.

    I have many other pet birds, too: peacocks, guinea fowl, ducks, a cool canary, and 9 parrots.

    I signed on to this group because I like to talk about my birds and I feel I can learn something from all of you. But, I would like everyone to know that I am here for you as far as my veterinary experience and expertise. In my experience, bird owners of all types do not take advantage of veterinary services as frequently as they should so I will be promoting veterinary care. I will not be able to diagnose problems via email, but I can give you guidance and advice about their care. Please take advantage of this.

    I am here to learn, teach and have fun. Thank you for allowing me to be part of your group.

    Dr. B
     
  2. bigoakhunter

    bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

    553
    1
    131
    Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Welcome to BYC Dr. B! It is a great place.[​IMG]
     
  3. wegotchickens

    wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

    12,151
    25
    311
    Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG] from East Tennessee!!!
     
  4. easttxchick

    easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

    8,427
    15
    263
    Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] from Texas!
    So glad you joined us.
     
  5. cambriagardener

    cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

    Hello from California and [​IMG]. We love our six hens and it will be a hard decision as to when to seek vet care (if that happens). My husband and I have had the conversation. Glad to have you aboard. I'm sure you will offer much to our forum. [​IMG]
     
  6. Pumpkinpup

    Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

    Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    [​IMG] We are glad to have you!
     
  7. Whispering Winds

    Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

    Do you have a basic list of supplies all of us with birds of all kinds should just have on hand, that we might not think of?
     
  8. Buff Hooligans

    Buff Hooligans Scrambled

    12,147
    90
    311
    Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome, we're glad you joined us!
     
  9. CPW Chicks

    CPW Chicks Out Of The Brooder

    80
    0
    39
    Feb 26, 2010
    Beaumont, PA
    Hi [​IMG], glad to see you have joined the byc
     
  10. Wynette

    Wynette Moderator Staff Member

    25,565
    70
    421
    Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Welcome! I'm glad you found BYC, and hope you enjoy what you find here - I look forward to reading more from you!

    [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by