Greetings, Newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Toprel, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Toprel

Toprel In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2017
    Greeting all,
    I'm Toprel, aka Craig.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yes very much so. We received our first batch of chicks about seven weeks ago. My wife has raised chickens before, but I'm very new to this.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    My wife doesn't do anything small. We are now up to ~150 chicks. We have six brooders running, and three hoop coops with the 7-week old chicks in them.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    To have our family buy-in on the Chicken expedition, each in the family has chosen a breed we want to raise.
    My wife wanted Delawares and New Hampshires to have the sex-linked chicks. They were the first group of 30 we bought.
    I just picked up my first three Ayam Cemani mix chicks. I am starting with a local mix to see how well I like the breed. Two of the chicks are 3/4 Cemani and 1/4 Wyandotte. The third is 1/2 Cemani and 1/2 olive-egger. They are about three days old so far. One of the 3/4 chicks is all black except for inside the mouth, and the tips of the toenails.
    My Son L has an assortment of bantam Cochin; as he couldn't decide on the coloration he wanted. His has just arrived, this last Friday, and he's very excited to see how they turn out.
    My Son R has chosen the silver-laced Sebright. They arrived at the same time as L's.
    Beyond that, we have a random assortment of fryers and Roasters bought from CackleHatchery.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    while searching for information on the Cemani, I saw a link to a forum here at BackYardChickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I am setting up my office to become a recording studio. My end goal is to be a voice-over artist and audio-book narrator/publisher, as I've been told that I have a face for radio and a voice to match.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am working on my MBA. I love reading and listening to Sci-fi/Fantasy books. My wife is an Army veteran and together we are homeschooling our two boys(Not for religious reasons. The only school in our area is a piece). My family has just started a YouTube channel about our farm. So far we have the welcome video up, and we will be working on posting at least once a week.

Feel free to ask me anything else you are curious about.

Toprel
    Mother Udder Farms

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    rjohns39 and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Craig, nice to meet you. Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

Toprel likes this.
  3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Craig and welcome to BYC. Gosh, you certainly have jumped in at the deep end! Still, since your wife has experience in raising chickens, its not quite as bigger jump as it could be. There's no issue with posting a link to your You-Tube channel, so you can either start a thread in another forum, or edit your post above to include it. There's a thread for home-schoolers, I recall so you may wish to drop by there.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

Pork Pie

Toprel likes this.
  4. Toprel

Toprel In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2017
    The deep end is right. It's a bit stressful, but fun at the same time.
    I've updated my last post to have the link. Thanks for letting me know.

I will definitely look into finding the state thread as well as the homeschoolers.

Toprel

Pork Pie Ken likes this.
  5. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    Welcome to BYC! :welcome Glad you joined us! Hope you find everything your looking for and much more!

Toprel likes this.
  6. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Hi and welcome. Are you out in the country to be able to get so many chickens right from the get-go? Sounds like a lovely assortment.
    I LOVE audio-books. I get them from the public library and listen to them in my car.

7. DuckPro

DuckPro Songster

Jun 21, 2017
    Andromeda
    @KikisGirls here is a newbie you can welcome ;)
    You told me let me know if I ever miss one so here is one!

Toprel and KikisGirls like this.
  8. Toprel

Toprel In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2017
    Hey Potato Chip,

Yes, we are out in the country. We are in the Sierras in Northern California. Our farm is on 10 acres. I am looking forward to seeing all of them feather out. So far only the 7 week olds, and our two adults, have feathered.

Toprel

potato chip likes this.
  9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Quail Hatch TBD

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
    We are so glad you joined our flock.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Toprel and DuckPro like this.
  10. DuckPro

DuckPro Songster

Jun 21, 2017
    Andromeda