Greetings western New York!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ntink17, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ntink17

ntink17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Hello to all! Thought I'd introduce myself a bit! I'm from western New York (about an hour east of Buffalo) and have been a zookeeper for 12 years. I quit the field this summer due to family demands & relocating back to my hometown (I have three boys, the oldest is 8 and youngest is 17 months). Now I'm missing animals like CRAZY! We just moved into my family's farmhouse, and I'm hoping I can get some chickens for the... kids...(okay okay me too)! Unfortunately the huge coop here blew down in a storm about a decade ago, so I'm doing some reading to look into a good coop I can afford to build and is predator safe. Oh, and I can deworm a chicken in the blink of an eye! That comes from working in a zoo with curator who is chicken crazy, and one of my jobs was to deworm them monthly. I took care of a lot of other animals too mainly medium-to-small sized mammals and a variety of birds.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Have fun on your chicken adventure.

Imp

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, TX
    Welcome to BYC and the world of small-scale animal management!

My BYC page points to some of my blog post that you might find informative or entertaining. I would suggest that you hit up Craigslist or similar for free building materials. My own coop is a recycling miracle with roots in my home. [​IMG]

You can certainly build a coop for little cost and minimal effort. Its not like the chooks will know the difference. [​IMG] Be sure to check out the BYC coop page . If I had spent more time there with a ruler and graph paper, I would not have needed to correct so many mistakes with my first coop .

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! You sure had an interesting job! [​IMG] You're gonna love having chickens.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon!

8. lolmom

lolmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    just wanted to say "HI!!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Hi neighbor. I am about an hour northeast of buffalo on the shores of lake Ontario.

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by