Greetings, Ya'll!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ZeeAviatrix, Apr 27, 2017.

1. ZeeAviatrix

ZeeAviatrix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2017
    Tuscumbia, AL
    I am a first time poster and wanted to introduce myself. I received my three little chicks a couple of days ago from Meyer Hatchery. They're Golden-Laced Wyandottes and cute as can be! I'll be posting pictures.

I look forward to reading all the posts on the many subjects.

I had 4 chicks seven years ago, which I got from a co-op, and the last surviving hen, Roxanne, was killed by a chicken hawk just a few months ago. I miss her terribly, so I decided to get some more chicks.

I have a 30 acre farm in Alabama and raising chickens is one of the most fun things to do. They are very entertaining! I ordered one rooster and two hens so maybe I will end up getting a few hatchlings. Right now, I am keeping them warm and happy. I paid extra to have them vaccinated, so I hope they'll grow strong and healthy!

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Chicken Obsessed

Jul 13, 2016
    ~ The UK ~
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Great to have you!!

3. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    ~ The UK ~
    My Coop
    Could i recommend you get another hen (or two) (only two "may" be over mounted lol) No offence! [​IMG] What breed are they!!?

4. ZeeAviatrix

Apr 27, 2017
    Tuscumbia, AL
    They're Golden-Laced Wyandottes. Uh oh, do you really think I should have gotten another hen? I was wondering about that.

5. mrsdee

mrsdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    x2 - with only a couple hens he will probably hassle them too much and they might be stressed all the time. I've heard anywhere from 4-8 hens per rooster! But I think that depends on breed and how much of a "gentleman" your rooster turns out to be.

6. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    ~ The UK ~
    My Coop
    Yeah.

7. rdcowman

rdcowman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree! But hopefully they don't![​IMG]

8. Texian

Texian New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    I'm sorry about your loss of your beloved hen. I have hawks and owls all over my property! I have three hens that are free range and have learned to hide from the predator birds. I'm writing you because I have a visiting rooster every day that is actively pursuing my hens, but they are not stressed at all! They take dirtbaths together and sunbathe, etc. It's really cute. I haven't gotten any chicks out of it so far though!

9. ZeeAviatrix

Apr 27, 2017
    Tuscumbia, AL
    That would make sense, but I have a fairly small chicken coop. It would accommodate 4 chickens max, although I did let them out during the day when I was home and I would lock them up at night. I'm hoping my rooster is a gentleman!! :)

10. ZeeAviatrix

Apr 27, 2017
    Tuscumbia, AL
    The worst thing about Roxanne being killed by a hawk was that she had slipped into an enclosure that had no roof. The hawk must have come down on her talons first, leaving me a huge pile of feather and one small piece of bone. I couldn't believe my eyes!!

About my trio - I hope my rooster behaves and doesn't stress the hens out when they get bigger. Right now the three are sweet little snuggle buddies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by