Greetings!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kriemhilde, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Kriemhilde

Kriemhilde New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I'm the new girl on the block. I've loved everything about chickens since i was a wee one on my grandparents' farm where i was allowed to help collect the eggs and occasionally hold and cuddle a cooperative hen. My whole adult life has been spent rescuing and adopting animals but i have never had chickens until now. On my way into town a few days ago i saw a big chicken hardly able to walk, pecking away on the shoulder of the road. I stopped and picked it up. It had a severely swollen left foot and the right foot was tangled up in string. Took it to the vet, and yes, you've all guessed it! Long story short: He's a young male cornish cross jumbo broiler with bumblefoot. Today was his last antibiotic shot, and his foot doesn't seem as painful as it was when i picked him up. I have a good sized tortoise pen where i set up a medium dog house inside a large wire dog crate. I put hay in both so he can choose to be in or out of the house, but still can be locked in for the night. During the day i open the cage so he can hang out in the sun and putter around. I've covered the whole thing with a heavy quilt that i can pull closed at night when it's cold. I'm in Texas and the nights just started to get cold. I have fed him 2 cups of food every morning which he doesn't quite finish, and i don't put his food in his cage at night. He likes the rye grass in the pen. NOW! I really need some advice. Firstly, what should i be doing differently? Secondly, what should i be feeding him? My goal is to keep him happy, comfortable, and loved for as long as his body will hold out. The vet said his heart and lungs sound good. He is very good natured, easy going, and chatty. I just love him! Any advice anyone can give me would be so gratefully appreciated!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've heard it helps extend their life IF, you make him exercise by putting his food bowl farther away, and maybe water at the far opposite end and letting him forage for food. Limit the amount of food if he is leaving some food (never heard of Cornish doing that) or break his meals into two, he may be getting too much at one time. I hope he continues to do well for you. At the least he has a wonderful home with you.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have good advice from D/Diva.

Best wishes
    CT

5. Kriemhilde

Kriemhilde New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice! I read somewhere that crumbles are best because they are smaller and can't be eaten as quickly, but should i get layer crumbles? They don't seem to have low cal food for portly roosters[​IMG]. And should i also toss out some scratch? He seems to like puttering around, eating grass, and pecking at stuff on the ground so i think when his foot is better it won't be a problem keeping him busy, and then i will put his food and water on the opposite side of his enclosure.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Nice of you to help out the orphan rooster! He doesn't need layer crumbles, there's too much calcium in it for him. I also would not give him scratch since that could just lead him to gain more weight and eat less of his healthy feed.

Sounds like you're doing well by him, have fun!

7. Kriemhilde

Kriemhilde New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Fredericksburg, TX
    So what DO i feed?

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Kriemhilde

Kriemhilde New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Thank you!

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Aww, you were so nice to adopt him! If I were you, I would feed him grower feed. It doesn't have all of the calcium like layer feed does, it is for growing birds (8 to 20 weeks). But it does have lots of protein in it. I hope you enjoy your time on BYC, best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by