Greetings

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cutchens, Jan 5, 2013.

1. cutchens

cutchens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Slapout, Alabama
    Morning all, this is likely going to be a lengthy post, so please bear with me. First of all we are very new to chickens. So new that we don't in fact have any yet due in large part to an upcoming move from Hawaii back to Alabama. Now to my questions. I have read a bunch if things and think we have our selections narrowed down, but I am still left with a few points. What is the difference between a Plymouth Rock and a Barred Rock? Are Cochin's really as friendly as I read and do all Brahmas have the barred or speckled neck and butts? I know three different breeds there, but those are my likely choices, so any help you fine folks can provide would be hugely appreciated.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Well I have experience with all of those breeds thanks to my mixed flock. A Barred Rock is short for Barred Plymouth Rock. The Barred just refers to the color markings and is the most common variety available. You can get Plymouth Rocks in different colors if available. My Cochins are mellow and sweet, but my Barred Plymouth Rock and Brahma are more friendly and gregarious. Light and Buff Brahmas have the speckled necks and tails and are the most commonly available. There are dark Brahmas from some hatcheries and some breeders may have other varieties, but that takes some looking.

If you would like to get a variety of breeds for you flock, check out Ideal Poultry web site. They have a good selection of breeds.

1 person likes this.
  3. cutchens

cutchens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Slapout, Alabama
    Thanks so much. Was starting to think i was reading myself in circles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by