Greetings!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Allthechicks, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Allthechicks

Allthechicks Just Hatched

Dec 8, 2014
    I've been a longtime lurker here at Backyard Chickens, so I figured it was about time to make my debut! Let me just say, this website has been my go-to for pretty much everything I've needed since my wife and I decided to start raising chickens this past spring. I never thought that there would be so much to it, and I'm so thankful for the endless wealth of knowlege I've found here!
    We live on a few acres in rural Wisconsin on the Minnesota border, and we started in May with 15 Cornish Cross's, and 20 layers- 5 Barred Rocks, 5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Americanas, and 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes. The meat birds went great! I finished with 14 out of the 15, (one flipped) and they averaged between 8-10 lbs per bird dressed. We plan to do another batch in the spring, possibly 2 as we are currently down to our last of them.
    Our layers are allowed to free-range alot- pretty much whenever someone is home to keep an eye out for predators. Which is not fail-safe...At about the time we processed our meat birds, our layers suffered an attack by a fox, and we lost 11. It was heart-breaking.. My 14 year old son sat vigilant with his shotgun when he made the discovery, and was able to kill the fox that killed our chickens. All-in-all a very sad ordeal... We replaced the 11 we lost with 15 new layers- 5 more Rockies (as I like to call them) 5 New Hampshires, and 5 more Americanas. Our first batch of layers started laying just over a month ago, and I hope that the newcomers will start laying this month!
    So far it's going great, and my chickens seem to be loving their lives, save for 1 Wyandotte that turned cannibal, and then turned stew-pot after trying what I believe to be everything to fix the problem. The kids love collecting eggs, and the whole family enjoys the indescribably delicous eggs and chicken. For me, It's really about providing my family with the highest quality organic chicken and eggs, and providing my kids the experience of being part of the process. I strongly believe that one of the biggest problems with our society is our disconnect with our food, and where it comes from..but that is a whole other conversation..
    Thanks again so much! I'll try to put up a few pics of our current arrangement :)

Best Regards, Jason
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for all your losses. It is never easy to lose them especially to a predator. WOW...nice coop!!!! Gorgeous!!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

5. Allthechicks

Allthechicks Just Hatched

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks for the warm welcomes![​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG] BUCK BOCK!! KLUC CLUCKIY KOO!!

Translation from chicken:"welcome to BYC!! So glad you finally joined. Lots of great people on here, now it's another one greater!!"[​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Jason, nice to meet you. So glad you joined the flock. You have a beautiful set-up. Sorry for your losses to the fox. When one dies more take it's place but, at least you know the SAME one won't be back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by