Greets from the Great Napa Valley in Northern California.

jherwatt

Hatching
Sep 16, 2016
I started raising chickens 2.5 years getting a variety of chickens representing all the different egg colors I could find. For a year I had about 15 hens, ... I keeps in a LARGE green house that my Grandmother had built. She was a crazy lady and a survivalist and raised about 80% of her food. Having many raised beds, and the green house for growing crops in the winter ... Not having much of a green thumb I decided to turn the Green House into a HUGE chicken coop. The green house is about 30 feet wide and about 150 feet long, and these 15 chickens 'free range it's. In the back yard between the raised beds, I actually seeded a Chicken Foraging Mix I procured at GrowOrganic.com. ever night, at about an hour before Sunset I open Greanhouse and let all the Lady out for an hour to 90 minutes. I like to supervise their free ranging as we have hawks and all sorts of creditors, and my property backs up to a wilderness area on the south end of this.

My girls are not only a source of eggs, they are also lets. I have trained them to come when called, and put themselves back into the greenhouse on command, though Sunset does a good job of rounding them until. Last winter I inherited my Mom's 10 hens and for my birthday I added 10 more hens to the flock, only on the day after to be great with CHIRPS from the green house. Speckles my Easter Egger rooster and my Easter Egger hen Hawk added 9 babies on their own. To this day, I have No Clue where this clutch of eggs was hidden. As I collect all the eggs daily, and the Green House is pretty much empty except a work table down the right side.

Well that clutch of babies has ended up being the JOY OF MY LIFE. There was one little guy, Seal that had Scissor Beak, Which got worse and worse, and though I ground his food and did everything I could he eventually died, as I just couldn't get enough groceries into him, and switched to Tube feeding a little to late. But Seal touch me and several of my friends that helped him. He CONSTANTLY chirped his HAPPY SONG. HE would

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community! Wow! That is one big chicken house! Best of luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

A warm welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Gosh, that's gotta be one of the biggest coops I've heard of - you must have on heck of a happy flock!

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif
glad you decided to join us.

IMO your grandmother was one really smart lady
smile.png
The greenhouse sounds perfect, would love to see your conversion project.

Back
Top Bottom