grenishcoloured earlobe why??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grandmas Hens, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Grandmas Hens

Grandmas Hens New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    I have a young 7 month old leg horn, her one ear lobe is a greenish colour, and a bit swollen, any ideas??

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It could have been injured, and is now bruised (chicken bruises are green) or infected. Does her actual ear look all right? If you see any discharge or swelling of her ear, then she could have an ear infection/respiratory disease.

3. Grandmas Hens

Grandmas Hens New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    it is swollen, just the lobe, and it feels warm to the touch, I fear it is infected and not sure what to do or how to help her. It appears that it has been pecked by another hen perhaps

any suggestions

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can take some hydrogen peroxide and fill the ear canal with a dropperful, clean it out with a Q-Tip or two, and fill the canal with Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment. If it is infected sometimes amoxicillin or clavamox will help. Your vet might be a good reference.

5. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Without seeing a photo my first thought was also a bruise. If you can used an antibiotic gel instead of a petroleum based ointment. It's lost eased to clean out if you need additional doses. If you can handle her sit her in you lap and apply moist warm pack for a few minutes begin you used topical antibiotics will improve there effectiveness.

6. Grandmas Hens

Grandmas Hens New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Here are a couple of pictures that I managed to get this morning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. LadyFish19

LadyFish19 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    Ontario, NY
    My year old hen has the same thing! Her ear canal looks fine it's just the lobe that's green and swollen! I hope your hen cleared up! Guess I'm going to try some of these!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by