grey / ceylon jungle fowl

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ninjascrub69, Aug 14, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Songster

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    where can i purchase some grey or ceylon jungle fowl (preferably as hatching eggs or chicks) and what is the average price?

2. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    you wont be finding any one selling ceylons as hatchin eggs or chicks to rare not and probably not greys either sure not on ceylons but greys i usely see are going for 50 to 75 for young pairs and i atleast know ceylons will be in the 100s

3. Junglefowl

Junglefowl Chirping

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    Hello I'm a breeder of three of the junglefowl species Red Jf, Grey Jf and Ceylons Jf. As far as Grey jf price, your are looking at about $100.00 to $120.00 a pair. Depends greatlly on the breeder. Ceylon breeders are very rare in the USA. Prices for Ceylons are about $500 to $600 a young pair breeders being alot more.
    If I may ask, have you ever worked with any of the Junglefowl species??

Saul

1 person likes this.
  4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Songster

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:i had a pair of red jungle fowl for a while but i had to sell them because i was housing them with golden pheasants and they kept beating up the pheasants

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    agree with Junglefowl's post
    greys run $80- $150
    ceylons I have only seen at $600
    greens $600

The reason for their "have you ever kept them question" Is
    Ceylons and greens are extremely sensitive birds to keep and will fall over dead on you if you dont know what you are doing. They are a lot different than reds and greys as far as care goes, so be sure to do some research and be prepared for them if you go threw with it.
    And no, you wont find eggs or chicks for them at all, yearling pairs will be the youngest, cheapest thing available on them.
    Good luck

6. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    i have never saw greys for that much the highest i have seen is 75

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:That's cool, all I have seen in GA are over $100 though, think Charles Hill's are $150 if I remember what he said correctly. I know his greens and ceylons are $600ish.

$75 would be an excellent price if the quality was good!!!

8. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    i will have to call him to night and see but, john,and a few others from ggbba sell them for around 75 a pair and my good friend keith sold them at the meets for 45 to 60 and he said he was pleased on the price and im sure they were of good quility no junk guess i have not talked to the same people as you thats why we say differing prices

9. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Songster

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    thanks for all the input [​IMG] i found a few places that have grey JF

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yep, Johns are about $75 if you are talking about Mason...

Funny how much difference breeders have in them, I would love some more at $50 range, let me know if you run across any more like that locally

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by